Gradient color on new iMac 20"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DianeS, Dec 19, 2008.

1. DianeS macrumors newbie

I just bought my second iMac. My first is five years old and I love it. I didn't really want a new machine, but too many things were not available for my old operating system and Safari was not compatible with many sites.

I sell my photography, so colors are important to me. The new monitors have gradient color -- light at the bottom of the screen and dark at the top. If I move the same photo around the screen, it will look different depending on where I put it. I thought the problem was unique to my computer and Apple gave me a new one, but the problem exists with the second machine. I'm not happy. Am I the only one with this problem? I thought about upgrading to the 24" as the Apple guy said it might solve my problem with the advanced monitor, but the 24" is too heavy for me. I won't go into all the explanation about why that's important -- it just is.

My frustration level is quite high. Tonight I set-up the replacement computer and worked for about 90 minutes when the computer crashed. Yes, I know, I should have "saved" at some point, but my old computer NEVER crashed.

I've tried calibration, but that didn't help. Does anyone have advice on how I might fix this? I am in no way a techie, so plain English would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Galvatron macrumors member

My advice would be to do more research before making any significant purchase. I knew about this "apparent issue" long before I bought my 20". It's never bothered me.

If it's that important, get the 24"

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Firstly, the crash is one of those things. The iMac is going to be no less stable than anything else - I have one running 24/7 here and it's extremely stable.

However, the 20" iMac is designed for casual home use - not for graphics pros. The gradient issue is well known and is minor enough not to bother most people - however if you're a photographer or, like me, do graphic design, you'll either need the 24" which has a vastly superior screen and actually isn't that much heavier - both are easy to carry around when required, or you'll need an additional higher-quality screen connected to the 20".

4. Passive101 macrumors regular

I have a 20" and I think it looks great. I'm not a graphics pro, but I do watch WAY to many movies.

5. DianeS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for the responses. The Apple people acted like they didn't know about the gradient problem and said they didn't see it when plugging in my computer. They would have to be color blind not to see it. I will take your advice to upgrade to the 24" seriously. Much appreciation. Diane