"Gradient to transparency" in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ranguvar, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Hi,

I got an image of a button. That button's background is a simple linear gradient. On top of the gradient, there's a glyph. (The button looks somewhat like iTunes' "Shuffle" and "Repeat" buttons in the lower left corner.)

I want to extract the glyph from the button, so I can use it on another background. In GIMP, there's a feature called "Color to transparency", but what I'm looking for is a "Gradient to transparency" feature.

Is there anything such in Photoshop?

P.S.: I did use google, but it didn't come up with any solutions....

2. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Any chance of a picture so we can see what you mean?

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In Photoshop you can create a gradient from a colour to nothing. i.e. 100% to 0% or anything in between.

EDIT: Seeing below I get what you mean now. Can't you just draw it in a vector program?

4. ranguvar thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure:

Imagine I got this image of a button. After doing the "gradient to transparency" thing, I'd like to have the extracted glyph, somewhat like this.

5. jampat macrumors 6502a

Can't you just select the arrows, then invert and delete? They have a well defined edge that should be easy for photoshop to get.

6. ranguvar thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but imagine it was a more complex shape, e.g. with blurred edges.

7. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Can you draw the shapes with a vector illustration program? Do they have to be "selected?" You second example resembles the Photoshop bevel and emboss layer style.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

IMHO you'd be better off just tracing it in Illustrator or a similar vector program...