"Gradient to transparency" in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ranguvar, Jan 6, 2010.

  1. ranguvar macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2009

    I got an image of a button. That button's background is a simple linear gradient. On top of the gradient, there's a glyph. (The button looks somewhat like iTunes' "Shuffle" and "Repeat" buttons in the lower left corner.)

    I want to extract the glyph from the button, so I can use it on another background. In GIMP, there's a feature called "Color to transparency", but what I'm looking for is a "Gradient to transparency" feature.

    Is there anything such in Photoshop?

    P.S.: I did use google, but it didn't come up with any solutions....
  2. Shoesy macrumors 6502a


    Jun 21, 2007
    Colchester, UK.
    Any chance of a picture so we can see what you mean?
  3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603


    Jan 10, 2006
    In Photoshop you can create a gradient from a colour to nothing. i.e. 100% to 0% or anything in between.

    EDIT: Seeing below I get what you mean now. Can't you just draw it in a vector program?
  4. ranguvar thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2009

    Imagine I got this image of a button. After doing the "gradient to transparency" thing, I'd like to have the extracted glyph, somewhat like this.
  5. jampat macrumors 6502a

    Mar 17, 2008
    Can't you just select the arrows, then invert and delete? They have a well defined edge that should be easy for photoshop to get.
  6. ranguvar thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2009
    Yeah, but imagine it was a more complex shape, e.g. with blurred edges.
  7. Kwill macrumors 68000


    Mar 10, 2003
    Can you draw the shapes with a vector illustration program? Do they have to be "selected?" You second example resembles the Photoshop bevel and emboss layer style.
  8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040


    Oct 12, 2005
    IMHO you'd be better off just tracing it in Illustrator or a similar vector program...

Share This Page