Gradually Increase/decrease brightness with the Keyboard keys.

twistisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Hey, I have a 15 inch aluminum macbook pro, Snow Leopard and recent updates all installed, but i noticed something on my friends 13 inch macbook pro that mine doesn't do.
On my friends, when you press the screen dim/bright button (F1, F2), its a gradual transistion, but on mine it just jumps down a notch.
For example, when you hold down the dim button on my friends MBP, it the screen dims in a similar way as to when you put your finger over the iSight camera, it fades to a dimmer screen. On mine, it jumps down each brightness level
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I don't know how to change it permanently, but you can just hold option and shift while pressing the brightness buttons.

twistisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
ey i havnt seen that before, thanks but not what im looking for. What i want is that it goes down an entire level, but gradually.. over like half a second it goes down instead of just a jump

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I've never seen a MacBook that does what you're describing. When you raise or lower the brightness, it goes down a tick. It's sudden not gradual.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you. :confused:

twistisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Hey, i have updated the OP to be more coherent, does anyone know what I am talking about?
Thanks

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
The easiest way to see this "dimming effect" is dim the screen from the last notch to back light off. There appears to be a dimming fade effect, although that might be some optical effect from our eyes adjusting.
My 2009 13" MBP seems to have this effect.

PS. The keylight also seems to dim/fade up and down.