Gradually Increase/decrease brightness with the Keyboard keys.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twistisme, Dec 11, 2009.

1. twistisme macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a 15 inch aluminum macbook pro, Snow Leopard and recent updates all installed, but i noticed something on my friends 13 inch macbook pro that mine doesn't do.
    On my friends, when you press the screen dim/bright button (F1, F2), its a gradual transistion, but on mine it just jumps down a notch.
    For example, when you hold down the dim button on my friends MBP, it the screen dims in a similar way as to when you put your finger over the iSight camera, it fades to a dimmer screen. On mine, it jumps down each brightness level
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't know how to change it permanently, but you can just hold option and shift while pressing the brightness buttons.

3. twistisme thread starter macrumors newbie

ey i havnt seen that before, thanks but not what im looking for. What i want is that it goes down an entire level, but gradually.. over like half a second it goes down instead of just a jump

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've never seen a MacBook that does what you're describing. When you raise or lower the brightness, it goes down a tick. It's sudden not gradual.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you. :confused:

5. twistisme thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, i have updated the OP to be more coherent, does anyone know what I am talking about?
    Thanks

6. razorboy1969 macrumors newbie

razorboy1969

option + shift + function + F1 or F2 to gradually brighten / dim screen.

7. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

In the AppleStore in london yesterday. The new MacBook Pros seem to do this gradual thing. My old-style MBPro does not.

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The easiest way to see this "dimming effect" is dim the screen from the last notch to back light off. There appears to be a dimming fade effect, although that might be some optical effect from our eyes adjusting.
    My 2009 13" MBP seems to have this effect.

PS. The keylight also seems to dim/fade up and down.