Graduate School help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Edandlindz28, May 12, 2007.

1. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Can anyone help with deciding which university to attend for grad school?

My first looks are U of Tenn, U of Colo-Boulder, U of Ariz. Doing the MBA thing to help out with my background in logistics.

I am going to have a big learning curve with my undergrad being in Exercise Sport Science.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Wow, ain't that the truth! lol! I'm in law school now, and probably getting my MBA immediately after that...of course, I had a good background for both, so I'm not just jumping off the ship without arm-floaties :) Good luck!

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

There's always the differences in climate...which do you like best? :p

4. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

I really like Colorado, but I hear U of Tenn is a good program. I have lived in NC and VA which has some of the same climate and I grew up in Cali where it got really hot, so I don't know...it will have to be a game time decision I guess

5. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

How about the Kenan-Flager school at UNC-CH then? I'm not familiar with the MBA program specifically, but I know the business school is one of the best in the country among public universities.

How did you come up with that list of schools?

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I always say travel/move while you're young! The benefits of working with different people, even within the US, are tremendous.

7. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am in the military and they give us a list of schools that we can pick from, in the low, medium, and high range. I think because of money.

I asked a couple of people who they thought were good schools, now I am not ivy league, so I had to look at the ones I have a fighting chance to get into.

The other factor was the wife. She has a say so of where we go too. AZ and CO are close to the family (UT & CO). The other was because they had a logistics field that looked great.

If anyone knows of any others, let me know, I am all for opinions.

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

undergraduate major doesn't matter so much. From what I hear, to really get the best out of your MBA experience, don't do too much Finance, etc. Only dabble in Econ and instead do what you enjoy and do it well. If you loved Exercise Sport Science, then great!

If you're in the military and you've already served a bit, my guess is that your experience in logistics could be better than many of your future colleagues, regardless of where you're going.

9. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I called my brother about this one, as he's the "financial guy" in my family. His verdict was that in general, most large unis (like the ones you mentioned) have excellent MBA programs. Colorado/Boulder stood out a bit in his mind as being the most highly regarded school in general.

Good luck! Grad school is so very different than college, so don't worry about your previous background studies.

10. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help. I think Colo would be easier because its right up the road.

I may apply to a few others. Does anyone know how many is recommended to apply too?

Also, who makes a good GMAT study guide?