Graduating Soon: iPad or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacAztec, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I'd really like some advice with this situation:

I'm planning on buying the iPad 2 or an updated MBP (when either come out). I'll be upgrading from a late 2006 MacBook Pro, and I'm really looking forward to some great battery life!

I'll be graduating from College in early June, and I am taking off to travel for the entire Summer. I'd like to bring whatever device I buy with me. When I return, I'll be starting a great new job, and the company will give me a nice Mac work laptop. I could see myself buying an iMac around this time too.

Anyways, I'd like your opinion on using an iPad for the next 3 months of school, and while traveling, vs. a MacBook Pro. Keep in mind I won't have to do any crazy work on the computer for the next few months, other than basic eMails, browsing, etc.

I'd love some feedback, thanks!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Meh. Both sound good. I would buy a Macbook Air if you were going to get an iMac soon anyway. I don't like the current generation iPad as it doesn't seem functional enough.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

What's your specs on your existing macbook pro? I couldn't really imagine buying a brand new laptop just for newer battery life, especially since you'll start a job and won't be taking your laptop around with you much in the fall. Plus, there's nothing really new in the mac os lately. I'd go for the ipad, at least there's a lot of new apps if you don't have an iphone or ipod touch already. On, the other hand, there's lots of other gadgets like a ps3, xbox 360, or HDTV that might be helpful for wherever you might be moving too.

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

It's a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo. It's great for everything I've done with it, however, I really could see myself using an iMac for the few things I haven't enjoyed using the MBP for (iMovie, FCP, iPhoto, etc.)

As for other gadgets, I don't really use/need anything else. I don't play games, and I don't watch a whole lot of TV (movies are great though).

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sounds like you don't really need any new gadget. Why don't you buy some backpacking equipment and enjoy the great outdoors?

6. zenio macrumors 6502

+1