Graduation Gift

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Xander562, May 18, 2008.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I'm graduating in ~ a month but don't know what to get as a gift from my parents. My older brother got a laptop but i have a less than 1 year old MacBook Pro so i don't really need a new one. I also don't need a car as i'll be moving to San Francisco for college. I also already have a fairly nice bicycle. So i have no idea what to ask for. So give me suggestions, what you would like/have gotten. :)

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It would seem you have all your bases covered.

How about their best wishes, or a down-payment on your first home, when you meet that special some-one??

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i find the best gifts are given when you dont ask for something, even if its just a dinner or so.

i just hate the expectation that people have to give me stuff for graduation. i JUST graduated from college like 2 days ago and i made it a point to not ask for anything. i was just happy my family was able to see the ceremony. granted that didnt stop people from getting me things, but i just had the mindset to not EXPECT it and have them do it if they wanted

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if their giving the gift, isn't it for them to decide what you get?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

True, but the impression given is that they have asked him what he wants.

6. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

That's the problem :p

Yeah, maybe I should specify graduating from high school, but your point remains the same. I see what you mean and they almost insist on getting me some kind of gift as they did my brother.

I will likely not ask for anything when i graduate from college. By then i will have grown too old to be asking for anything from anyone.

Exactly.

7. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

If they're not already paying for it, tuition.

Other than that you can ask for spending money as a gift. Like for them to deposit a certain amount into a debit account for you monthly.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I would say a digital camera if you don't already have one, they're nice to have in college.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Here. The perfect solution, and they will rest assured that your ass is safe from S.F. traffic.

They just have to tie it into their credit card account for the 4 years, or whatever ;), that you are in school.

:D

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

12. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

:eek:

Also: I agree with the advice in your sig. Lesson learned. :p:eek:

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was about to make the same suggestion.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you're telling us that if you insisted on not getting anything for graduating high school, they'd refuse to let you off so lightly and force a present on you? You don't think that by repeatedly telling them that you have everything you need, and don't want a present whatsoever, they'd still give it to you?

Sounds rather silly, but if so, let them get you whatever they want. That, or ask for something later. Maybe you want something in the 1st week of college.

15. Schnebar macrumors 6502

If you do not need a $3,000 computer then you can just ask for an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Then you can remember them every time you use it and they feel like they gave you something you enjoy.

I am in a similar position going to college next year. But I have never had a laptop so I am getting some MacBook Pro or whatever comes out this summer.

16. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I'm graduating HS in a few days too, I'm asking for an iPhone once 2.0 comes out.... but I have to pay the bill so need to get a job. Meh.

17. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

well I was in a similar situation graduating (had my bases covered) my parents sent me on a vacation with my closest friends & got me a nice watch.

maybe a trip with friends would be nice?

not sure if you want something in specific that would remind you of your family?

18. Queso macrumors G4

The funding for some voluntary work overseas. An eye-opening experience that will change you forever and prepare you for adulthood in the best way possible, and you get to see part of the world into the bargain.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I agree with this. Very good idea!

20. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm guessing this is the opposite of forced labour? ;)

21. Queso macrumors G4

Seriously, that's how it works.

Link

22. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Ask for them to fund a trip to a 3rd world country and you'll realize you already have everything you need.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I almost did this, but maybe with a different program. It was either that, or teach English in Taiwan for 6 or 12 weeks. I chose to live in England instead. It wasn't nearly as foreign, but it did change my life in every possible way, and it gave me direction in life, which I sorely needed. I guess a volunteer trip like this would be equally fantastic, although different from what I did. Who knows, maybe I missed out on something better.

Anyway, the reason I didn't do it was because of cost. I forget how much it would have cost me, but it was far too high for me to pay. I couldn't afford to pay to volunteer overseas AND lose the money I would have made by having a job that summer. That's a double-blow.

If you have the option to do it, then do it.