Grafic defect on brand new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daac12, Aug 20, 2008.

1. daac12 macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    since i have bought my new MacBook Pro in March i have terrible bugs with my graphics. The attachment shows the bugs which appears sporadically while i am surfing in safari for example. The "shiftings" only appear while scrolling. Furthermore sometimes iTunes flashes (white screen) when i am scrolling in iTunes. I asked the Apple Premium Reseller to care about these problems but they said that they hadn't found any defects. Be that as it may i can't work with my MacBookPro adequately (i have to write my thesis at the moment and this bug aggravates that enourmously!). Anyway i paid a lot of money for a computer which is supposed to be the best on the world. Does anybody of you guys know something about this bug? It would assist me greatly!

Attached Files:

2. newbie jnr macrumors member

yep...i've been getting these on my march 08 MBP aswell- only in safari/firefox though.

Seems to come and go, and i've somewhat learnt to live with it, although it can get really annoying (and haven't been annoyed enough [or had enough time] to get it looked at).

Do you also get white flashes of boxes when watching Youtube vids?

Attached Files:

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

It's a known bug with Leopard. The last patch was supposed to fix it.

As for the white boxes, I think I've seen them only once, knock on wood. And that was when I was scrolling thru the iTunes Store.

4. daac12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mhh, this bug can not be well known, otherwise the Apple-Center would have knowledge of that. The Apple-Center want to change the logic board in two weeks because they hope to fix it this way but i am not confident of this will change anything.

I can not live with this bug, step by step it makes me angry. I can't stand it any longer. I want to work respectaby (after i have worked with this bug for several month).

EDIT:
    By the way i've heard that Nvidia has problems with the graphic-chip which is working in the current MacBookPro (86xx).

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. kolax macrumors G3

Strange, I've seen people post this issue a lot, and I've never had that problem. Considering I'm using an eventually defective GPU and Safari.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I posted this a while back and I believe it was quickly dismissed. It seem to be more evident now that others have this issue.
    I get the same flashing boxes in Safari and while watching any video over the internet. I also had the white boxes in iTunes like another user above.

Edit: Here's the thread I started a while back.

8. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem in my July 08 MBP. It only happens in Safari I believe, I haven't noticed it in Firefox. I don't get the white boxes but I get the jumbled up text while scrolling. If I use the mouse and select all the text then it goes back to normal.

WTF is up with this? No resolution? Is it a known bug or is it a defect?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's Safari only. Use Firefox. Please use tIMG tags!

10. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Im pretty sure these are all symptoms of a defective gpu
    after all, every 8600GT in the mbp's are defective...

look at the multiple threads on the forums

11. jag00 macrumors newbie

I don't think it is a safari-only issue. I get the same thing on Firefox and even in mail sometimes. It's a sporadic issue and tends to happen more often when I'm on battery power. I'd take it in for service but I can't afford to be without my laptop at the moment.

There is quite a lengthy thread on the apple discussion forums about it http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1419469

-J

12. powz macrumors regular

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test? Instructions HERE.

13. newbie jnr macrumors member

i've done the hardware test, and everything passed.

I've also noticed that i get the screen flashes when (two-finger) scrolling in the itunes store. can't manage to get a screen-grab

14. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

WOW!
    listen
    its not a glitch in the software or os
    its ur video card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    go get ur logic board swapped

15. kamaldeeps macrumors newbie

white boxes

I also had the white boxes in iTunes like another user above.

16. newbie jnr macrumors member

sources?
    proof?
    qualifications?

thanks for the opinion though

17. newbie jnr macrumors member

Just found a temporary fix(?) at
    This fine spot

From that:
    'There is a free Apple Utility program "Quartz Debug", that is located in the Developer:Applications:performance Tools folder. (However, you may have to have installed the XCode tools -- free on your Leopard DVD #2).

In Quartz Debug, there is a menu command "TOOLS > Disable Quartz Extreme". This will slow down your drawing performance (especially scrolling) but for me totally eliminates the problem.

Beneath that command, there's also "Enable QuartzGL". This also appears to work -- for a while -- however once you enable this you need to QUIT the application you're having problems with and restart that application.

It is perfectly safe to leave the Quartz Debug utility running. Don't check any of the checkboxes in the floating palette -- they're for evaluating drawing performance and if you check them, you will get a lot of colored "flashing" on-screen.'

seems to have worked for me so far...in the last 30 mins
    but it slows yours scrolling and generally wrecks the nice fluid motion (expose, etc)

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I had the same bug, and it continued across four browsers I tried (Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Shiira, if I remember correctly). The bug was accompanied by annoying screen flicker when scrolling on white / light internet pages.

Upon returning it to the apple store we did discuss the quartz debug thing, though the apple salesperson concluded that it's not a desirable option, so I returned my MBP and exchanged it for a macbook, since one of the MBP models in the store had the same issue. I found an apple statement concerning this bug, or one very similar to it, but the statement is over 7 months old... The salesperson told me to stick it out and wait for a fix, but since I'm not convinced that it's not a graphics card issue, I returned it. For right or for wrong, that was my experience.

19. ryanrul macrumors member

I had two other recent MBP's that had the same scrambled video problem and both quickly started to suffer from much bigger graphics problems that weren't isolated to safari. Apple gave me a new computer in both cases, but i don't have any faith that my most recent MBP won't eventually suffer the same fate.

20. electronique macrumors 6502

hmm.. PRetty disgusting really.
    You wouldnt get this on a PC.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1: TIMG your images!
    2: Pirating movies is illegal.
    3: Sorry about your GPU.

22. electronique macrumors 6502

LastZion.

How was Harold and Kumar..? Any good?

Ha. Cant believe you posted that pic.

:confused:

23. GreyMatta macrumors regular

I have over the last week had this exact same problem

I have also twice had the stripy screen fault (the LED backlight one) a reboot fixed it both times.

I also about 4 or 5 time a week get an issue with my keyboard and trackpad becoming unresponsive. A reboot fixes this as well but I am using an external keyboard and mouse until my university work is finished near the end of September.

This has been the worst Mac I have ever owned. It has already had a replacement Superdrive (3 repair attempts) and the charger stopped working last month

24. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

wow dude, the epitome of over dramatic.

if its an isolated issue to Safari, well then, you have your answer.

i've personally never noticed it..but then again i dont use safari too much. This is a MBP purchased in March '08.

i did have a problem with bunched up text (not like the posted problem) in safari, and only in safari. Permissions repair fixed it (impossible, i know right? But it did.)

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I have that issue on my MacBook (not pro) with Pages. Often if I minimize a Pages document and then open it up again everything is garbled (even worse than your screen shots). I'm pretty sure it's not the logic board as mine was replaced a while ago and I still have the same issue.