Grammar question....

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Having a "debate" with an editor of mine.

Would you write this sentence like this:

Fifty years ago Joe Bruce was a youngster hiding behind a patch of cattails while chugging a plug across a pond on his grandmother's farm.
Or like this:

Fifty years ago, Joe Bruce was a youngster hiding behind a patch of cattails while chugging a plug across a pond on his grandmother's farm.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
With the comma, mate. It breaks up the sentence, it just works with the comma. I know the real grammatical explanation in my head, but I can't put it into words.

With the comma ;)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Though I have no idea what it means, I would be inclined to go with the second option (well that's how I would write it anyway). I like commas. I find they make things more readable, by breaking up the sentence.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
max_altitude said:
Though I have no idea what it means, I would be inclined to go with the second option (well that's how I would write it anyway). I like commas. I find they make things more readable, by breaking up the sentence.

I wouldn't have used that comma in the last sentence ;)

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I couldn't find any precedent in Strunk and White, AP or Chicago that made sense, but I also don't want the guy thinking I am an idiot for adding the comma (I've already sent the piece in, and this is my first whack after they revised it).

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'd do it the Management Consultant way :)

Fifty years ago:-
  • Joe Bruce was a youngster hiding behind a patch of cattails while chugging a plug across a pond on his grandmother's farm.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iGary said:
I couldn't find any precedent in Strunk and White, AP or Chicago that made sense, but I also don't want the guy thinking I am an idiot for adding the comma (I've already sent the piece in, and this is my first whack after they revised it).
yes you use the comma.
its called for because its a modifier. notice that the clause could easily be moved to the end of the sentence with no comma added in there because that is where it would belong in a structurally simple sentence.

thats the best way i can explain it other than saying: Yes the comma belongs there just because its right.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
PlaceofDis said:
yes you use the comma.
its called for because its a modifier. notice that the clause could easily be moved to the end of the sentence with no comma added in there because that is where it would belong in a structurally simple sentence.

thats the best way i can explain it other than saying: Yes the comma belongs there just because its right.
He can explain it! :D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
dynamicv said:
I'd do it the Management Consultant way :)
See that's the way I started it -

"Rewind 50 years ago: Joe Bruce..."

They changed it...

I'll just make a comment suggesting a comma, I guess.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
skunk said:
In totally unpunctuated prose: awesome.

Yes to the comma, definitely.
I added it with comment.

I'm actually fly-fishing with the editor tonight, I'll razz him about it. :D