Gran Paradiso Alpha 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flopticalcube, Sep 14, 2007.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Anyone here using GranParadiso (Firefox 3.0) Alpha 7? What are your impressions? How do you find the font rendering? Speed? Plugin problems?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been using it off and on for weeks. Milestone 8 is late for whatever reason now.

It's quite a bit smoother than the current Firefox 2.0.0.6, which should be replaced in a day or so with 2.0.0.7. Plug-ins work, but add-ons do not.

I'd almost give up my add-ons to use it daily but then, the financial sites drive me crazy every time they see a new build.

Text rendering is finally right. I haven't found a language where it doesn't work properly. People will also be pleased that the native Mac OS X widgets work fine also.

3. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Thanks bousozoku. What about stability? I left testing after Alpha 1 because of instability. How is Alpha 7?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't ever remember a crash at all with the last 3 alpha versions but I don't use it as much as I use Firefox, though I try to hit a lot of websites quickly.

It almost seems ready to use, but things like add-ons need to be addressed and that's usually where the instabilities occur, though the plug-ins can be a headache, especially Flash.

5. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Gracias. I will start using it again for non-critical surfing.

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Just started using GPA7 and I have to admit, it looks really good. The text looks much cleaner on my 15" SR MBP than Firefox. I'll start checking out some esoteric sites to see how it reacts. This should be fun...I hope.

----------------
    EDIT: Okay, after a couple of hour's surfing I did notice one glaring issue. It loads pages very slowly, especially image heavy sites, flash based sites and script heavy sites.

It is still a very nice looking browser; however, I wonder when the real version will release.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's been updated to a new alpha version, so apparently not ready for beta yet.

I've noticed some odd details changing in a few nightly builds, such as the star to the right of the URL entry field. It's back to where it was a few weeks ago.

There are backup and restore functions within the bookmarks/Places organiser.

Anyway, it's still sluggish but until beta time, they won't be concerned with speed as much as correct function. Flash/plug-in throughput seems improved, though.