Grand Theft Auto IV and cheat codes

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sam10685, May 2, 2008.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I know I shouldn't used them but I was wondering how cheat codes affect missions. I'd probably only use the remove wanted level one and the weapons one and maybe health. Also, none of those give you lots and lots of money do they? I remember I hated that about GTA San Andreas.

2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

It's been noted that they affect Achievements...

3. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

I know. How though?

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If it's like most other games with cheat codes, they basically disable the achievements. You can still probably play through the whole game and story but you wouldn't get the achievements.

5. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I herd a nasty rumor that if you use a cheat code not only does it stop achievements but kills your story mode.

6. pcypert macrumors 6502

It doesn't kill story mode. It just shuts off the achievements that are about surviving and causing mass destruction...I don't know how to say. The ones where you kill a bunch of people in a run...

Paul

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As long as you don't save the game when cheating you'll be fine. Just cheat for a laugh :).

8. mrwindup macrumors member

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

For GTA I find cheat codes necessary for myself to feel Im getting the most out of my game. Not all the time, but sometimes.

What fun would it be if I couldnt shoot 3000 people in the head before deciding I was done? I dont like the cops busting me, SWAT or the Army killing me. I just want to destroy all I can, because the nature of the game allows me to do that.

When cheating, one can go truly "insane" because there are no longer any restrictions. And for a game such as GTA, sometimes you need no restrictions. :rolleyes:

10. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

I reckon that's why they call them 'cheat codes.' ;) I was wondering. What are the different colored letters of on the radar circle? Some are red, some green and some white. I know the letters are to get missions but why the colors?

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

You sick, sick fellow. :D

So you can easily tell the missions types apart without having to look them up?

12. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

It's simple. After you put in a cheat code, don't save.

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I nearly always cheat in the GTA games. I usually find that once I get to a certain mission in the game where I keep dying then I switch to god mode and from there on I start playing around with the cheats. I've never really enjoyed the hand to hand combat and gun fights in the {previous} GTA games so have usually resorted to cheats pretty early.

However, in GTA IV, I still haven't found myself wanting to use the cheats. For the first time in a GTA game, I find the gun fights really quite fun. Particularly ones where you have to hide around corners. In previous GTA games I just got chewed up as soon as I entered an area.

14. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

What are the mission types/how do i look the up?

15. pcypert macrumors 6502

It's very simple wayfinding stuff. Certain colors for certain events. Yellow for the action now, white markers for shops and entertainment, green for personal set marker, etc. They have wonderful wayfinding systems put in place in this game (from a designer standpoint :) )

Paul

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Vice City I have 10s of thousands dead.

San Adreas Im working up to that.

GTA4...we shall see!

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There is a way to get rid of your wanted level legitimately. ;) Apart from being good at driving and getting away from the cops if you start dating the lawyer bird on the dating website (i've forgotten her name) :rolleyes: once you become 'friends' you have the ability to call her and she will get rid of the wanted level because she has contacts as she is a lawyer. However if you are wanted REALLY bad then it doesnt always work.

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

b*tch, I got the fuzz on my tail, can ya help me out?

thanks, Ill pork ya later.

or

b*tch I got the army after me, what you gonna do?

oh, you're busy.

19. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Just for the record...

Some cheats, like riots and other stuff that affects everything in the game and makes things go crazy can break your story mode, simply because during cutscenes people are still rioting and it can cause bugs that screw stuff up. That was for the PS2 games though, I dont know if GTA4 is protected from that.

Normal cheats like weapons/health/cars/wantedlevel will not hurt your game, that was just a false rumor that cheat codes would "corrupt your save".

20. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I don't really like using cheat codes in games. There aren't many great ones anyway since I have all the weapons and have many parking spaces with sweet cars.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow your powers of observation are unquestionable. We bow in your presence o wise sage. Please grant us more of your venerable wisdom as we come unto you. For we are meek and feeble compared to thee, o shining beacon of knowledge.

;)

22. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Same thing here. Cheating used to enhance the fun on the old games.

Now, no cheats for me on IV.

I keep going to the gun store after every mission, to see if I can upgrade from what I'm carrying. I just got to the second safe house, so all I have now is the Mini SMG. Still, it works very well.

I wasn't too into IV at first, but I'm liking it a lot now.

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I hate cheating but there is one thing that is bugging me somewhat. I'm about 60% through the game. I've done the missions for Bernie and he gave me the 'car' I wont spoil it. But stupidly I forgot to save the Comet when I was doing his missions and now, seemingly an eternity since then I have not come across another to erm... borrow.

I keep calling Brucie for races and turning up in the SuperGT or Infernus but those races keep spawning crap cars and not Comets etc.

How can I get my hands on a comet without cheating?

EDIT: I'm on a 360 if that matters?