Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - GTA ON MAC!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by antster94, Dec 25, 2010.

1. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Both reviews on the apple website and pretty bad (2/5 stars), and they either talk about bugs and that the controls are clunky. Mind you there are only 2 reviews.

I can't say anything about the bugs, but the controls are the exact same as on a PC. Games like GTA have always been a bit awkward to play with mouse and keyboard, while much easier to play with a gamepad using, for example, a PS2 or XBOX. It is something to get used to, and not something to bash the game for, just because there are no good gamepads out for the Mac.

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I find it quite easy to play with mouse and keyboard.

3. l008com macrumors member

I got the Mac version for christmas.

I formerly had the windows version installed in a small win7 partition. I use a real PS2 controller with a USB adapter. Works great.

Back to the Mac version. 2 days later, I still have yet to get any game in the set to run on any of my Macs. First it was random OpenGL errors, then it was the secret hidden activation key. Now that I've found that, none of the games will run because they claim they can't find my Mac Pro's CD/DVD drive. What the **** does it need to see my drive for anyway? But it can't, and won't run because of it. The error window has a link for more information. The page it links to, is for Windows. Rockstar hasn't put any effort into a game since 2004. I'm going to return this crap, total waste of time and money.

4. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Thanks for the share. I remember playing GTA 3 on my old PC. Good times. I'd like to see more of the GTA series come to Mac, especially on steam.

5. Samsung2011 macrumors newbie

Care to share how you found the "secret hidden" activation key? I bought mine from the Apple Store and I got exactly two e-mails from them. Neither of which contained anything that looked remotely like an activation key. All I got was an order number and a part number, and the phone number to the Apple customer service department. Although I really don't feel like paying a $50 service fee for a lousy activation key.

6. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Sorry to bump this old thread, but rather than start a new one I wanted to post the following as I was slightly stumped and couldn't find anything else about this online -

If anyone has the physical DVD version of this and finds that GTA III and Vice City won't get past the opening cut scene and there's no audio and you're using an alternative soundcard, that may be the problem. I use a Griffin iMic (USB) to plug my headphones into my Mac Pro (I find the front headphone port is really hissy and noisy). This must be a problem for the software at some level. I switched back to the mac's standard internal audio in Sys Prefs sound panel and everything seems to be working fine now.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone out in the future when searching MR.

Also it reminded me that the iMic is very good value if you use any headphones better than the standard iPod freebies on a mac.