Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
Currently, I have iPhone 6 with grandfathered AT&T Unlimited data plan. I will be upgrading to iPhone 7 but at the moment I cannot find an option to keep the same plan (with iPhone 6s as an example).

Does anyone know if I can keep this plan or would I be forced to upgrade to new plan? Next perhaps? What is the best solution in your opinion?

Thank you for your time!

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
Currently, I have iPhone 6 with grandfathered AT&T Unlimited data plan. I will be upgrading to iPhone 7 but at the moment I cannot find an option to keep the same plan (with iPhone 6s as an example).

Does anyone know if I can keep this plan or would I be forced to upgrade to new plan? Next perhaps? What is the best solution in your opinion?

Thank you for your time!

You could try calling AT&T

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW

Thank you for your time!
I also have a single line, grandfathered UDP. From my understanding, AT&T would let us keep our plans, the method on buying the next iPhone would either be outright, or on a Next plan; no more subsidized prices.

I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile's new unlimited One plan, since it's cheaper than AT&T's grandfathered plan, by then I'll just do the installment plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: osin

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
You can just upgrade using the NEXT plans or buying the phone outright. AT&T said it would not change my current grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I went to the AT&T store on Saturday and talked to a rep who seemed very knowledgeable. He said that I could order through AT&T Next, Apple Upgrade, or buy the phone at full price. As a test, I went through the process to buy a new iPhone on Apple's store app: after I selected a phone for my line, I received a message stating that I would be required to select a new plan (EEK!), but when I proceeded to the next page to select a plan, my unlimited (current) plan was preselected, and I was able to continue with the order with my unlimited data plan. Of course, I didn't complete the order, but it looks like keeping the UDP is good to go.

skinnerband

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
I went to the AT&T store on Saturday and talked to a rep who seemed very knowledgeable. He said that I could order through AT&T Next, Apple Upgrade, or buy the phone at full price. As a test, I went through the process to buy a new iPhone on Apple's store app: after I selected a phone for my line, I received a message stating that I would be required to select a new plan (EEK!), but when I proceeded to the next page to select a plan, my unlimited (current) plan was preselected, and I was able to continue with the order with my unlimited data plan. Of course, I didn't complete the order, but it looks like keeping the UDP is good to go.

This is very good news, thanks!

Reactions: osin and Pipper99

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Anyone have any updates on this? Thinking about going the Apple route as well, but may have to go into AT&T since my phone (6s) is still under contract. I usually give my phone to my girlfriend and we sell the 2 year old model (6).

osin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone have any updates on this? Thinking about going the Apple route as well, but may have to go into AT&T since my phone (6s) is still under contract. I usually give my phone to my girlfriend and we sell the 2 year old model (6).

As mentioned above, I was able to purchase iPhone 7 under my existing unlimited plan with AT&T. I preordered my phone via Apple Store.

Thank you all who provided me with the information! Much appreciated!

Reactions: dolphin2421

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I just purchased from Apple the 6s full price and kept my grandfathered plan--coming from the 6 which was still under contract. The phone is also unlocked as confirmed by Apple rep after I set up the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.