Carrier Grandfathered AT&T Unlimited plan iPhone 7 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by osin, Sep 5, 2016.

1. osin macrumors 6502

Currently, I have iPhone 6 with grandfathered AT&T Unlimited data plan. I will be upgrading to iPhone 7 but at the moment I cannot find an option to keep the same plan (with iPhone 6s as an example).

Does anyone know if I can keep this plan or would I be forced to upgrade to new plan? Next perhaps? What is the best solution in your opinion?

Thank you for your time!

2. DadBod630 macrumors regular

You could try calling AT&T

3. Rayfire, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I also have a single line, grandfathered UDP. From my understanding, AT&T would let us keep our plans, the method on buying the next iPhone would either be outright, or on a Next plan; no more subsidized prices.

I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile's new unlimited One plan, since it's cheaper than AT&T's grandfathered plan, by then I'll just do the installment plan.

4. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

You can just upgrade using the NEXT plans or buying the phone outright. AT&T said it would not change my current grandfathered unlimited data plan.

5. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I went to the AT&T store on Saturday and talked to a rep who seemed very knowledgeable. He said that I could order through AT&T Next, Apple Upgrade, or buy the phone at full price. As a test, I went through the process to buy a new iPhone on Apple's store app: after I selected a phone for my line, I received a message stating that I would be required to select a new plan (EEK!), but when I proceeded to the next page to select a plan, my unlimited (current) plan was preselected, and I was able to continue with the order with my unlimited data plan. Of course, I didn't complete the order, but it looks like keeping the UDP is good to go.

6. skinnerband macrumors member

skinnerband

This is very good news, thanks!

7. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Anyone have any updates on this? Thinking about going the Apple route as well, but may have to go into AT&T since my phone (6s) is still under contract. I usually give my phone to my girlfriend and we sell the 2 year old model (6).

8. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

As mentioned above, I was able to purchase iPhone 7 under my existing unlimited plan with AT&T. I preordered my phone via Apple Store.

Thank you all who provided me with the information! Much appreciated!

9. beach bum macrumors member

beach bum

I just purchased from Apple the 6s full price and kept my grandfathered plan--coming from the 6 which was still under contract. The phone is also unlocked as confirmed by Apple rep after I set up the phone.