Carrier Grandfathered family plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jberrymd, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Jberrymd, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

Jberrymd macrumors newbie

In the mid 90's we got a family plan with up to five phones possible. I have five phones on it now.
    Well, we have learned that during a couple of upgraded our unlimited data family plan was removed from two phones mistakenly by the Att representative. I have been told that they can't go back and fix that but I am free to buy more data for those two phones.
    This has become a real issue for me as those phones always go over the 2GB on their plan.

My question is how do I get that plan back on their phones?
    If it is a "family plan" any phone I activate on that plan should have same options. I was wondering if I cancel those two lines and then reactivate phones on our "plan" if they would then have the unlimited data family plan I pay for? Seems like I pay for unlimited on five phones but don't get the unlimited on five phones.

Anyone have suggestions?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data plans anymore. If you need them and you did not authorize that they be changed, you'll have to take that up with AT&T representatives.

Although, with 5 lines, you may be able to switch to one of their new Data Share value plans and actually save money. It is at least worth looking into.

3. Jberrymd thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand they don't offer them anymore, but since I have one and they are still honoring it, wouldn't any phone I add to my existing plan be able to share that plan?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, they only offer the 300MB and 3GB plans with those older family plans.

*edit* Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're asking. As far as I know, you have to have a separate data plan for each line on the older plans.

5. Jberrymd thread starter macrumors newbie

I may not be clear. The way I understand it, I have a family plan for five phones.
    Part of that plan is unlimited data for anyone in the plan up to five phones.
    Two phones were changed mistakenly by ATT during an upgrade. We have been told they can't be changed back. I guess my question really is whether a new activation on our existing family plan with unlimited data would alleviate the inability to rectify the problem with the current phones.
    If so, I will cancel the two phones without data and activate two new phones on the unlimited plan. Since ATT is allowing us to keep the plan we signed up for, any line we add should be part of that plan.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

You must be on a VERY old plan; since at least 2005 the family plan smartphone data was per-line subscribed not blanket for all the lines.

Never hurts to ask, but I'd be surprised if you obtained a useful answer here as your plan must be at least ten years old. When you signed up for your plan, many of the posters here were still in grade school... :D

7. aneftp macrumors 601

OP. Are you on the original "blue" ATT wireless plan?

Or are you on the orange Cingular old plans.

Makes a huge difference. Since the "new ATT" has phased out all the old "blue" customers.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Interesting. I was also under the impression that all of these older plans had been retired. I've been an AT&T customer since 1998 and there were some pretty rough transitions in 2004 and 2007.

Activating a couple of new lines is worth a try, I guess? Although if the AT&T reps told you that you can't get unlimited data back, I have a feeling that they mean it.