Grandfathered iPad 3G Unlimited Data Plans

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yukio, Jun 26, 2010.

1. yukio macrumors regular

[I can't find this anywhere on MR, but if it's a double post, let me know and I'll kill it - thanks]

So, I was one of the people who purchased before 6 June but didn't receive their iPad until late this week.

I've held off even unboxing the thing out of concern for what ATT might be planning since they pulled the unlimited data option. [Nothing personal ATT, but I've been "de la Vegad" once too many times to really trust you any more.]

Here's the email that I received this morning covering how to handle the data plan if you were caught in limbo like I was:

"Dear Apple Store Customer,

Thank you for purchasing iPad Wi-Fi + 3G.

Our records indicate you ordered iPad on or before June 6th, which qualifies you for AT&T's unlimited monthly plan for 3G data.

Because the unlimited monthly plan is not currently available from the on-device activation flow, Apple and AT&T have developed a special process so you can still sign-up for the unlimited plan. If you would like to request the unlimited plan, please do the following:
    1. If you have not done so, please connect your iPad Wi-Fi + 3G to iTunes and activate your device.
    2. You then need to activate the $25 2GB AT&T 3G DataPro Plan for iPad via Settings > Cellular Data. This is required for AT&T to be able to add the unlimited option to your account.
    3. After you have activated the $25 2GB AT&T 3G DataPro Plan for iPad, call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 and an AT&T Customer Service Representative will assist you in activating the Unlimited AT&T 3G Data Plan for iPad.

As part of this process, AT&T and Apple will verify if you are eligible to take advantage of this offer. If you are determined to be ineligible, AT&T reserves the right to either cancel your data service for iPad or move you to a lower priced option. You will be able to activate service again or change your plan to any currently available AT&T 3G Data Plan for iPad at any time.

Please note: If you cancel the Unlimited AT&T 3G Data Plan for iPad or the Plan is not auto-renewed in the future, you will not be able to order the Unlimited Plan again.

You must contact AT&T on or before July 15th.

Sincerely,
    The Apple Store Team"

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

That answers that question.

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere before, so thanks for sharing.

I'm going to be in a pickle on Thursday/Friday if AT&T decides to auto-renew me early. However, i'm pretty sure i can push because their TOS indicates they will not renew you until a few hours before your expiration. I will have access to funds by then.

SO, i'll call and holler if i have too to get it back. This will be the only month i'm out of cycle on the billing and i should be able to auto-renew without worry. Of course, this month i'm under on usage - but hey, I still have a week left! :D

ANYWAY.... back to cleaning.