Grandma Tech Support

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by question fear, May 13, 2007.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I am playing Grandma tech support again this weekend, and a thought occured to me. She uses an HP desktop with Windows XP (we needed a cheap-o desktop for her to play solitaire and mah-jong on, and she was already used to Windows ME.) A good chunk of her issues seem to come from the right click on her mouse. Could I buy a usb one-button mac mouse and use it on her computer? No one but me ever touches it for any tech reasons so I could always plug in a regular mouse for those times. But she's 90, and her mousing skills are awful, and she keeps generating extra icons of everything through careless right click, create shortcut. And god knows what else she's accidentally done.

The single mouse button seems like a quick and dirty solution but would it work?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Maybe there is an option in control panel to map the right mouse button to left click also.

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

I checked but all i could find was an option to swap right for left, which would be funny but probably not fix it...there also doesn't appear to be an option in the accessibility section either...

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think it should work fine, many people can't get the hang of right click, anyhow this application should prove useful and if she actually needs to right click she can control click too.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You probably could use a 1 button mouse....

My grandfather is the same way. He always, accidentally or not, clicks the right button, gets a context menu and starts yelling (yes, yelling...he has a very short fuse) that he's getting all these popups :rolleyes: Perhaps he needs a 1 button

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Cut three of her fingers off.

i'm going to hell, yes, I know.

7. Lau Guest

This could be useful too, although I don't know whether it's out of date:

Point-n-Click