Grandpa Questions Re XBox Purchase For Grandson?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by alexwaston, Feb 8, 2017.

1. alexwaston, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017

alexwaston Suspended

Hello,

Wish to buy my Grandson an XBox One S (I think) but truly know nothing about these kind of items. So, please bear with me a bit. Have several very basic questions, please:

Grandson will be 6.

a. Is there anything "meaningful" with a Playstation, that perhaps for his age of 6, I should think about rather than the XBox One S ?

b. Can he and a buddy both play at his house together if I get another Joystick ?

How can you tell which games are, and which aren't ?

Would it also have to be Wireless ?

Should I avoid the second-hand joysticks that they sell, or usually nothing to be concerned about their being used ?

c. Mommy, I'm sure, will limit and supervise the games he uses, and will be the non-violent kinds.

Can anyone recommend for his age what a suitable auto racing or driving game to get ?

Can these be played with a buddy ? Is this what they mean by split-screen ?

What are some other, totally non-violent to consider getting. (sole player, or with a buddy capable) ?

Thanks, really appreciate the help,
    Alan

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hi,

a) There are many games that are suitable for his age including the Lego games (Lego Star Wars, Lego Avengers, Lego Movie, Lego Marvel, Lego Batman, Lego City, Lego Jurassic Park) and then MineCraft, Minecraft Story, Rayman Legends, Just Dance, Snoopy's Grand Adventure. There is also Skylanders and Lego Dimensions games, but these often require further investment in action figures to make the most of the game and can thusly end up quite expensive.

The PS4 does have a few more exclusives (the xbox tends to favour more adult rated games as exclusives to the platform) such as Knack, Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet.

Most titles are multi-platform (available on both) with exception to those exclusives.

b) Yes, dependent on the game you can play together. ALL the lego games and Skylanders play fantastically together. If you are buying second hand from Gamestop or such, then yes you should be safe purchasing a controller. However if you are buying the console NEW, then you may be able to get a 'Bundle' which throws in a new extra controller cheaper or for free. Ask the shop about Bundles.

c) If you are going xbox, then racing games wise you have plenty of options. Forza 6, Forza Horizon 3 and for more arcade short bursts of fun Trackmania Turbo are excellent.

Hope that helps.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

[​IMG]
    :)

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

For that age I would go for the Nintendo Switch that comes out tonight.

5. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

A) If you can find out what consoles most/best friend(s) have; this will be a better deciding factor as he will be able to play with them online (if parents approve of course).

B) Yes he and a buddy can play if you buy an additional controller but hopefully if most of his friends have the same console you may not even need to.

*B1* Just to confuse matters a little bit, if you want him to play with his friend (imagine no internet for now) you are looking for games that have the tag 'Multiplayer Local', 'CO-OP' or 'Split-screen' this means whack in another controller and him and his friend can play.
    The best way to find out if a game does have 'Multiplayer local' is to go on the xbox website (assuming you end up buying an xbox of course) here's an example:

E.g.* https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/store/p/Forza-Motorsport-5/BQLK685TM311 notice beneath the description it provides the information you are looking for.

E.g.* http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/forza-horizon-3

*B2* It does not have to be wireless but it is usually preferred especially as you don't want them too close to the TV; me personally I always used this as I hated recharging the controller or looking for batteries (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-...0&sr=1-2&keywords=xbox+one+controller+charger)

*B3* I never buy second hand joy sticks or third party ones, I would say stick to new.

C)
    *C1* Forza Horizon 3, Forza 6

*C2* Yes, the games recommended can be played with a buddy; Yes you're right about split-screen.

*C3* If in doubt go for the Lego games, I've played a couple and they are fun and PG friendly!

Hope this helps