Grapher Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArtOfWarfare, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Hey... I've been using grapher for a while... but there are just so many things that irritate me about it. Specifically...

1.) The graph doesn't update while you type. Sometimes I'll forget to hit enter and I'll be wondering for a few milliseconds why it hasn't updated yet.

2.) It's not very good at finding intersections. I think it has something to do with there being no real square roots for numbers less than 0 which probably is what generates the error "no roots". So even though there's clearly an intersection between the two, it doesn't find it. (Specifically... I made a circle, then a diagonal line running through it and asked for the intersection. It just gave an error.)

3.) The scroll ball doesn't zoom in and out on the graph (or manipulate it in any other way for that matter.)

4.) When dragging the graph, it doesn't instantly redraw. It seems like this could easily be solved by having an overscan (so it ends up drawing 9x as much as it has to show... but the result is it can easily be scrolled... and I suppose that could make scrolling with the scroll ball pretty smooth too if they chose to do that. Heck, they could make it smart enough to draw only what it has to first, then fill in the parts it doesn't have to have yet.)

So yeah... this is basically a checklist of what Apple should include in the next version of Grapher. But I'd really rather have them now and it seems like someone else has probably wanted similar features. Anyone able to recommend a graphing program they use in Mac OS X rather than Grapher?

2. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

*bump*

Seriously, nothing?

I searched on Version Tracker and got nothing... I found a few applications that you have to pay for (none of which seem to offer the features that I listed that Grapher lacks,) but nothing for free (which is my preferred price... depending on how good the application works I may be willing to pay $10 for it...)

3. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Not many people play with this program -- probably because Apple sticks it in the Utilities folder where it doesn't belong.

Anyway ... here's the Wikipedia entry on it, and the MacRumors guide has some information.

If you have an iPod Touch, look for a WebApp called Quick Graph at the App Store via ColombiaMUG.

4. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Yeah, I saw that.

Man, you've got to be kidding me.

IT can't make a decent graphing calculator.
    Apple can't make a decent graphing program.
    And no one seems to be challenging them.

Geez, do I seriously have to go and code my own graphing program for Mac OS X / iPhone just to show everyone how powerful yet intuitive they should be? I think I'll finish up my first two iPhone games and get them on the app store before starting any new projects though...

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

5. Exporting in dimensions higher than some large number (I don't know the exact ones but I know that I can make a 100 MB .tiff file) will crash Grapher, which leads me to…

6. After Grapher crashes and I reopen the document, the graph has scroll bars (why?) that I can't get rid of.

7. If I change properties of a graph (line color etc.) and modify the equation afterwards, the properties are reset upon regraphing. :mad:

8. It's slow. Graphing Calculator on a iMac G3 is faster than Grapher on my iBook G4. :rolleyes: This covers graphing (I think) and general user experience.

9. Grapher locks up when graphing a bunch of equations.

10. I can't have strings as variables.

11. The implicit 3D graph resolution maximum isn't that high.

SpaceTime looks promising, but it costs $30 (more if you want additional features).

Casio, HP, and TI can't make a decent modern graphing calculator, so I'm not surprised.

If you do, I'd like to see it. :)