Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uncle Pinny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
London
I'll be using mine as my home pc as well as doing motion graphics on it. I won't use it that often for this as I rarely work from home but it should be more than adequate for this. All my work is for cinema and is in After Effects and (a bit of) Maya. I currently use a 3 year old crapppy C2D 2.8 Extreme/4gb ddr2 at work which is god awful so so long as the i7 beats this then I'm happy. I don't mind the gloss screen one bit as in my experience you tend to focus beyond the glare. I think for print work that the C2D would be ok for you.

ewytt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Re:

Thank for saying the C2D will work for me. I agree, but I need to hear it a couple times. :)

I know what you are saying about not focusing on the glare. I was at the apple store playing with the 27 and I kinda forgot what was going on when I was working on type in Pages. Very strange how the mind works.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I suppose those of us who were hoping for a matte option ( I would happily pay more for this [online only] option if it were available) need to just accept the glossy display.

Calibrate it with Huey or Spyder, and the glossy display will be workable with design and photos.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
I suppose those of us who were hoping for a matte option ( I would happily pay more for this [online only] option if it were available) need to just accept the glossy display.
Glossy just fits into the look Ive & company are trying to accomplish. Matte will never fit that style.

I'm becoming more convinced it's a sales method, like the overtly bluish-white default white balance used in TV's to make them stand out on the showroom floor.

ewytt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Yes, I feel like I have to live with the glossy screen or take a step back and consider the maxed-out Mini. I am really considering going to mini route now since I have a cinema already.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, I feel like I have to live with the glossy screen or take a step back and consider the maxed-out Mini. I am really considering going to mini route now since I have a cinema already.

But is the Mini worth it? If you already own it, then by all means, stick with it. However, to go for one now, I just don't think it's worth it.

eelpout: Of course it's all about the shiny, glossy display that draws people in. But to offer matte as an online option-- just like offering i7 as an online option-- at an additional cost, surely wouldn't hurt their "style"? ( As for Apple's "style": Justin Long and the happy, shiny generic mall people holding hands isn't particularly my idea of style...)

Buzz Bumble: Surprising, the display seems to hold up solidly once the glass is removed, but to have that "naked" iMac on my desk would look awful:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-27-Inch/1236/1#s6678

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I am not finding many people posting who use macs for static graphic design so I am starting one.

I am a print designer currently using a dinosaur 1.6 G5 tower and CS2. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I also shoot in RAW with my Nikon D80 and currently do most of my editing at my office computer because it is faster. I work primarily in vector graphics which is why my 1.6 is "working." After 3 HD problems and lost data, It is time for an upgrade. I will miss my 20" matte cinema display and will have to find a new way of working in my bright living situation. (that is why we have blinds, right?) Yes, there will be color shift on that glossy screen but I use Pantone swatch books, so that should help. (maybe)

All this hype for i5/i7 chips is coming mostly from motion designers or gamers which I am not. Coming from a 1.6, I think the base model Duo will blow me away. My office machine is a 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 5 GB, 10.4.11, so the iMac should be equal to my machine at work and probably a bit better. (depending on snow lep lag) I hope to keep the machine for as long as It runs. I also will update to CS4, if that matters.

Anybody else in my boat? I know the base Duo will be a HUGE upgrade to my current fossil and it is obvious I hold on to my machines for awhile.

Anybody else going to roll the dice with the glossy screen who does similar work as me?

I have a 2.8 extreme iMac, 24" screen. I am mostly a print media designer, but do internet as well, etc.

I have NO issues with the glossy screen, nor do I have issues with colors. I am usually on the iMac 10 hours a day. My proofs come out exactly like what I see on my screen. People rant about the glossy screens, but they probably aren't old enough to have worked on CRTs, where we had to use a hood over the screen!

I run all the designer programs you mentioned, and have the CS4 Design Pro Suite, and experience no working issues. My Panasonic LUMIX has no issues either and I shoot maximum pixels and RAW as well.

raydsr

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
People rant about the glossy screens, but they probably aren't old enough to have worked on CRTs, where we had to use a hood over the screen!

These new glossy displays are absolutely to lure in consumers who want to watch movies and TV and play games on their computer. They have a "Wow!" factor within the first 30 seconds of looking at the product.

Apple have been leaving their "Pro" users wanting more and better products for the past few years. All we really need is the OPTION of choosing a matte screen. Why is that so hard to provide?

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
I'm also a designer and don't mind glossy. Having used both the aluminum matte ACD and the newer LED ACD, the LED clearly renders whites that actually look white. The older one is much duller (which some people may like), and the longer I've had it, the longer it takes to warm up (a solid 30 minutes, I would say). Both, of course, are very color accurate and blow away anything else on the market.

A couple months ago, I really thought I wanted matte, so I ordered the Dell U2410. I thought it was terrible, like staring into a hazy cloud. They were kind of enough to refund the entire purchase. In my opinion, WHATEVER Apple produces is probably going to be great for a designer.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Properly calibrated, I also prefer glossy to matte. But ONLY if there is no light behind me. A light source in the glossy screen is completely annoying.

I work on a matte now externally off my MBP and cant wait to get my hands on the 27".....In......you guessed it......"November".....

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
Make enough to afford a Pro, but too smart to waste the $$$...

Most "Pros" should be making plenty enough money to afford a Mac Pro, otherwise they are not "Pros", they are just aspiring. ;)

When the 24" iMac came out, I took a chance and bought it over the Pro. I saved myself about 3-4k, and never regretted the decision once. My business associate appreciates the extra room created under my desk (he is a dog, lol).

Expandability is greatly overrated, the fact is most "pros" can only keep their machines for 3-4 years. I would much rather replace a 3k system than one that cost 7-10k (which was the average cost of most of my previous workstations). It was not much of a gamble, as I guessed that I could even buy a system every 2 years and still come out cheaper... not to mention my newer machine would be way more faster and powerful than whatever I was working on.

My first gen 24" is showing its age a bit, but is still as reliable & effective as the day I bought it. The fact is my needs have expanded beyond it, and my image library is now around 65-75,000 images. At 3gb of RAM I simply need more juice to keep Aperture happy and run as fast as it used to. I knew a bigger version was going to come out sooner or later (I was hoping for a 30") and will move to replace my work station with the new 27" iMac.

If you work for someone else, perhaps it doesn't matter how much your workstation costs, as it may only effect your raises/bonuses (or lack thereof). If you work for yourself and are successful at it, you will soon realize that EVERY dollar saved each year translates into a dollar of profit. It is the easiest money you will make I would wager as well.

Telling people that you are only a "pro" if you work on a Pro system is ridiculous. Unless someone is working professionally with video, the iMac is a wise and sensible choice for many "real" professionals. The myth of the pro for pros is one I am sure Apple is happy to continue with. I have maintained that the bigger iMacs occupy a pro or pro-sumer niche for awhile now. With 16gb of RAM, 2 TB of internal HD space, i7 Quad Core processing... I will be thrilled I waited even though I didn't get my wish for a 30". My 24" will still be in service as well, and am guessing I can still get another 3 years out it in another capacity.

The hoopla over the lack of matte options is blown out of proportion. Before flat panels came out ALL of my high-end were glossy CRTs and we coped just fine. I agonized over my big Samsung HD TV hanging over my fireplace as well, as it was one of the first ones to come out with the glossy screen. The fact is that when "off" and black... there is indeed a glare/reflection issue.... but when "on" the image really overwhelms the reflections and one does not notice it as much as you would think. Head to your local bigbox and try it for yourself... start turning a few glossy TVs off and see what happens.

I have no fears whatsoever about being able to effectively calibrate my new screen to match my output. They said the same thing about the white 24's when they first came out (that they were too bright to be able to be properly calibrated... and they were wrong about that as well).

My advice is max out the iMac as far as it can go, and you will be well served with a trusty workstation for the next 3-4 years. Take the money saved and take a trip, purchase a laptop, whatever... but you will be able to laugh all the way to the bank, just like I have done.

cheers, michael

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
I'm more worried about printing in Snow Leopard. We've held off at work because we print to a Fiery and there may not be support for that for a while. As far as the screen, you should be able to get a film to reduce that glare.

I'm a designer and our team with 5 MacBook Pro's print to a Fiery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.