Graphic Card dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by geon, Sep 3, 2008.

1. geon macrumors member

One of my ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB graphics cards is not working on my early 2008 2 x 2.8 Quad-core mac pro. Wondering if I should call Apple or take it down to the genius bar (only 5 min. from house)?

Anything I should check to make sure it's dead? The thing is I haven't used this card since the first couple weeks. I starting using the other card because I felt this one would hiccup (blink?) occasionally. I wasn't sure if it was the new LCD or the card at the time, never happened hooked up to the 2nd & current card I'm using. Now, I hook up a monitor to it and I get nothing.

I did notice some red light through the fan hole from the back of the Mac Pro recently, more than usual. Not sure it that was related. However, I recently tried the card and nothing, either side.

System profiler shows the AT Radeon HD 2600 XT and the Dell LCD I'm using on Slot 2.

Slot 1 shows:

Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x9580
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
    Displays:
    Display Connector:

:confused:
    Any thoughts?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The red light is from the optical audio out, very normal.

What are your symptoms... just no video at all? Does the Mac seem to be powering up normally?

3. geon thread starter macrumors member

4. geon thread starter macrumors member

The Mac powers up fine and all seems normal. I was having some problems with the lcd powering off and on, wouldn't always come on with Mac, but I think that could have been attributed to being on the same powerstrip as the Mac Pro. I plugged the LCD into its own powerstrips/surgeprotector and the LCD hasn't powered down since and has been fine.

When I connect the 30" LCD monitor to other card, I get nothing--black.

I notice the optical light, but the red amber, when the computer monitor wouldn't wake from sleep, seemed a lot more brighter. I have had a few episodes when the computer wouldn't wake from sleep too, but not much lately. While the monitor wouldn't power up, it was hard to tell if the computer was locked up or not.

Does plugging the monitor into its own outlet make sense? I haven't had any issues with the monitor since I used a different outlet for it.

5. agrayphoto macrumors newbie

It happened to me

My graphics card died too. I took my machine to the genius bar and they threw a new one in. It took them about 6 days since they had to order a new card. Since you have a second card, I'm wondering if they will let you just take the dead one in instead of you whole machine. I wish I had just bought a new card instead of losing a week of productivity.