Graphic card error?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Troglodyte Mac, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Troglodyte Mac macrumors newbie

Troglodyte Mac

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old mac pro 2.66 running 10.5.6 and a graphic’s card ATI Radeon X1900 XT.

I’m not a intensive games player... I play sometimes a game and prefer a 3D strategic war games (Shock Force, Barbarossa to Berlin, Beyond Overlord and Theatre of War.
    And the problem started maybe one year ago... Got sometimes (very rarely) after running a game after 30 mins, a few hours or whatever time… a black screen!
    I can still hear the game(s) sounds for a minute or so and then it freezes (I think) mean time I hear much noise coming from my computers fan’s? And I see a red led burning on my graphic’s card.
    My son installed Neverwinter Nights 2 and Battlefield 2142 for testing and they stopped after a few minutes of playing... black screen with sounds and a red led on the card.
    It seems the problem is coming faster now... Also with my own games.

Have someone suggestions? Did already a re-install of my Os...

Sincerely appreciate any help!
    Regards,
    Troglodyte.

P.S. sorry for the bad English...

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

It is possible that the card is overheating. Use SMCFanControl in OSX to up the speed of the PCIe/HDD fan (to 1800 or so) and the rear fan (to 1200 or so) and see if that helps. It's helped me extend the life of my failing 1900XT.

If you're using windows then change the fan speed in OS X then reboot into Windows (but don't power off) and it will retain the same fan speed in Windows.

3. CastrolSyntec macrumors newbie

10.5.6 issue?

Are you gaming in OSX?

If so, did the problem start after upgrading to 10.5.6?
    If you're in Bootcamp, try the SMC fan control app that has been mentioned. It helps me keep my unibody MBP cooler by about 20 degrees when playing graphics intensive games (Far cry 2, Half life 2 episode 2, Left 4 dead etc.)

If the issue came in 10.5.6, it is probably best to contact apple via mail to ask them if they have realised the issue, then wait for a fix.
    If the issue is in bootcamp, its over heating, a bad driver, or a fried GPU.

Good Luck! :)

4. Troglodyte Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Troglodyte Mac

I thank you both for the quick answer!

I got never a problem under 10.4. Maybe 1 or 2 times a frozen game... but I can not recall it as the same problem.
    It looks for me more a 10.5 problem? Not sure about it, because I don’t play that often... sometimes 2 a 3 months between the games episode.
    I gone try all the suggestions for sure, also I have the problem on both sides, Os X and Bootcamp.

I let you know!

Regards,
    Troglodyte Mac.

5. Troglodyte Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Troglodyte Mac

Hi all,

Info,
    I tested it all? I used the program SMCFanControl as suggested,
    PCIe/HDD fan: 2100 rpm
    Rear fan: 1500 rpm
    Just for being sure... and for testing!
    Outside surround temp +- 20°, inside 28 a 29° and with the app. SMF running, inside +- 27°.
    Normal running.

Os 10.5.6:
    Testing the re-installed games (Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Battlefield 2142 and legion Arena)
    NeverWinter and Legion arena seems to work OK?
    Neverwinter 2 and Battlefield 2142 gives a black screen between +- 3 min. (Neverwinter 2) and +- 15 min. (Battlefield 2142) tested both games 3 times almost with the same result.
    My sons says, it is strange that Battlefield 2142 hold it longer because the game is faster and graphic better then NW 2?

Bootcamp:
    Shock Force and Theatre of War here the same...
    Shock force +- 30 and Tow... longer than 1 hour and nothing...
    Here again strange because Tow is graphical better and faster the SF?

Question:
    A bad driver(s)?

For who don’t know the games or see the differences.
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0d531dZWbM
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaw0hl-K1QE&feature=related

Questions:
    So the Graphic card is done over en dead?
    What are my options?
    Repair or new one?

My son says, It is the fault of the use of an old Mac monitor?
    Code:
    http://www.murphyauctions.net/images/saigene/1.jpg
    And the adaptor
    Code:
    https://www.krcs.co.uk/images/library/products/300/apple_m8661.jpg

Regards and thanks,
    Troglodyte Mac.

Ps. btw, my ferrets killed the new 21 Mac monitor after 3 months!

6. Troglodyte Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Troglodyte Mac

Sorry, I was wrong, because I did it all wrong! It is now cooler...
    Now I can play/ test NWN 2 longer than 1 hour... Maybe I need a better fan or heat sinks for the XT?
    Code:
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/X1900XT_Overheating/ATI_X1900_artifacts.html
    Anyone have tips or experiences with this?

Kindly thanks and regards,
    Troglodyte Mac.

7. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I've got an Accelero X2 cooler on mine that I installed on it back in Oct 2006.

It worked fine for the most part but I started getting graphical glitches about 6 months ago (reduced by increasing the case fan speeds). As such I can't really recommend it.