Graphic Card help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olin1, Aug 11, 2010.

1. olin1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i heard about the new ati 5770 and i was stupid enough to buy a normal one at the computer shops thinking it would mount on the mac (even though it is a PC card) so in shorts i forked out $200 for nothing. My mac pro is early 2009...if i go ahead and buy the 5770 on apple's website for $320 can someone let me know if it's gonna work or not?

if not what is the best option #2 for me...at the moment i have the crappiest radeon 2600

Thanks for the help

2. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Read the thread on how to flash your PC card so it works with mac.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Exactly. Read this. You'll also need a Mac Pro compatible PCIe cable if you didn't have one on your previous graphics card. You can pick them up for about about $10 on eBay - just search for "Mac Pro PCIe Cable".

4. olin1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey mate Thanks for the reply, i had already read this thread but it didn't seem to explain if it will actually work in the 2008 mac pro model. I also read the thread of how to flash your graphic card...but it doesn't have the 5770 hd model mentioned... :(

If i follow the steps, will the 5770 hd pc one work u reckon?

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It will work in 2008 Mac Pros (that's what the EFI64 bit means). Here's netkas' post about it. You'll want to make a bootable DOS flash disk really (usb or cd) and flash the 5770 rom in his post to the card. I'd be careful though and read up on BIOS flashing first - especially if you're going to be doing it with two ATI cards in your system at once (not necessary though). You have to install the 5xxx series drivers first before proceeding though otherwise it won't be detected once flashed.