Graphic card question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theforgotten, Feb 3, 2008.

1. theforgotten macrumors newbie

I'm new to mac.Recently I bought PowerMac G3(B&W) and it came with the standard grapic card ATI Rage 128.Also I have ATI Radeon 7000 Rex 64MB with 2 standard VGA outputs so my question is can I replace ATI Rage 128 with my ATI Radeon 7000 Rex?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is the new ATI card a Mac one? If not then no, you can't use it, unless there was a Mac card and you can flash the BIOS across.

3. theforgotten thread starter macrumors newbie

ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB AGP (Dual Head) is on my PC.The Mac that I bought is used PowerMac G3(Blue&White)300Mhz 512 L2 cache and it came with the factory grapic card ATI Rage 128 with 16MB SDRAM on a 66MHz PCI card and also I have ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB AGP (Dual Head) that I used with my old PC so my question was can I replace the standard ATI Rage 128 16MB SDRAM with ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB AGP (Dual Head).But from what can I see first Radeon 7000 has to be Mac card right? and second ATI Rage 128 has 16MB SDRAM and ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB AGP (Dual Head) has DDR Memory.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

And my question is still the same. Is the "ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB AGP" a Mac card or a PC card. PC cards do not work in Macs out of the box. Some PC cards can be flashed to Mac cards, some can't.

5. theforgotten thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry now I understand.Yes yes ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB AGP is a PC Graphic card,it's inside my PC.Thank you very much and sorry again.Can you help me with the conversion from PC card to Mac?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've never done it. You need to find out if there is a Mac version of the card. If not there will not be a Mac version of the BIOS and that's it, you are out of luck.

If there is a Mac version you need to find somewhere to download the BIOS from and a flashing utility to flash the BIOS. Again, you might be in trouble, as sometimes Mac cards have larger BIOS chips than the PC ones, which would again mean you are out of luck.

That's it for my knowledge: I think there are some sites out there with all the BIOSes to download etc, but I don't know them.

7. theforgotten thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try to find something.Thanks again and God bless!

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yup, have to get an Apple compliant card. A PC one won't work.