graphic card upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fronteren, Oct 30, 2011.

1. fronteren macrumors newbie

fronteren

Thanks for a great forum. very useful and educating
    I just convinced my self to convert from pc to mac. Somehow apple.com seem top-secret when it comes to specs and upgrade-possibilities. Therefor ive got some Q´s

I would like to know if the graphics in MBP 13" is upgradable? Can i do it my self?

Is there an adaptor for sound in/out so you get 2 jack-ports working at the same time? Ive got some M-audio equipment for oldschool scratching, but the woman of the house dont really care for the sound of vinyl cutting :cool: need to use headphones. the 15" got the 2 sound-ports, but im trying to find out if I can settle fro the less expensive 13".

If there are no cheap possibilities I´m gonna buy the MBP 15".

thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. fronteren thread starter macrumors newbie

fronteren

ok, I do need the upgrade option, so gotta go 15"

so if I got it right, the 15" is upgradable in graphics, ram, running HHD*2 or SSD*2 or a mix of these. can you upgrade the cpu for more hertz? (your self?)

Is the soundcard integrated aswell? or can you upgrade?(your self?)

How does it work with running 2 hard disks? I believe there are different possibilities.

thanks for taking the time educating a newbie.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Upgradeable: RAM, HD and ODD

Not upgradeable: CPU, graphics

That applies to all MBPs. The CPU and GPU are soldered onto the logic board and cannot be upgraded without some serious hardware (theoretically possible but you need to be a professional to have the hardware). Sound card is part of the PCH which is soldered as well.

If you want two HD/SSDs, you need to remove the optical drive. A specific adapter will also be needed (like OptiBay). Basically, SSD+HD combo allows you to have a small SSD for OS and apps which speeds up the system a lot, whereas the HD can be used as storage. I have a similar setup in my PC.

5. AdrianK, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

I don't think that will do it. It looks like the jack is only intended to be used in a half-duplex fashion, so plugging to two devices in to a splitter will not allow both to operate at the same time.

I guess a USB sound card would be the only option in that case.

6. fronteren thread starter macrumors newbie

fronteren

thanks alot. I like the Optibay solution you mention. is it a DIY operation?

To adriank

Usb soundcards- looks like a good idea. I have clue about the quality. doesnt matter now, otherwise there is always firewire!

thanks guys

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Optibays are DIY.

Forget about upgradability in a laptop, 99% of laptops will only allow you to upgrade the hard drive and RAM. This isn't a desktop.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have a few Euro 3.5mm splitter and it works the way OP wants, i.e. two devices off of one port.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That applies to most laptops.