Graphic card ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alosh, Feb 4, 2010.

1. alosh macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a 1st Generation of Mac Pro that I purchased in early 2006, with graphic card Quadro 4500 fx, but now this card doesn't work in my machine.

please i need your advise to upgrade my card .

Which card will be compatible with my machine ?

thanks

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

An ATI Radeon 4870 seems to be the top card that works in the original Mac Pro.

You can either find an actual Apple-firmware model, or buy a PC model and flash the it with a Mac firmware on a PC. (You'll have to search for how to do that. It's out of my realm of personal experience.)

3. alosh thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ATI 4870 works on 1st gen Mac Pro as well because PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=669221

5. jbg95 macrumors member

Wouldn't the non-Apple provided cards need to be flashed first?

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/PC_ATI4870_flashedforMacs.html

The one on eBay looks like it may have been flashed or at least tested first as the description states "with 1GB of 256-bit GDDR5 memory converted for use in Mac Pro machines".

Performance should be more or less the same as the 4870 on the the Apple store, unless your apps need to store twice as many textures than the Apple card can.

I upgraded my 2006-era Mac Pro to the Apple-branded 4870 and finally have a video card that "just works" and is plenty fast for what I wanted to do...run X-Plane with good texture quality. Even at the highest quality settings X-Plane is using 300-400MB for textures. I went down the sad road of old contenders...the ATI x1900 that cooked itself, NVidia fx 4800 that didn't add much over the stock card the machine came with. The ATI 4870 is MUCH better.