Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Still waiting for Photoshop 7...

In the meantime, Graphic Converter will have to do. Here's the setup: I'm cropping a bunch (like, 150 or so) pictures of people to just grab their heads (it's for a web staff directory). So the easiest thing to do, since the heads are not the same size in all of the pics, is to crop each to a square and then resize all of the squares so that they are the right pixel size. With me so far? Now here's where I am stuck. I've figured out how to get GC to use the selection tool to default to drawing square shapes. But how can I move that selection (to center it over the head once it is about the right size) without actually picking up whatever I've selected and moving it? In Paint Shop Pro this is done with the crop tool - you just get the box to the right size and move it around all you want, then it will crop when you're ready. I suspect that this requires some combination of key-pressing, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks muchly.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
You can do this with any photoshop (5.5+) if you have it.

Well, the easyest way for me to do that is with Photoshop, and doi them one by one.

Create a new document with the final size that you wnat to use or one standart size.

Then open each picture apart. Now you will have you new blank document (or canvas) and the picture of the person.

Now, drag and drop the layer of the person to the blank document, positioning this person head in the middle of the canvas.

Now, save the new canvas with only the person face.

Then, delete that layer and open another picture and do that again.

If there is a group of people all you have to do is moving the layer until you plave the head of the person in frame and do a "save as"

At the end you will have a bunch of pictures, all framed and under the same size.

Then you can do an "Automate Batch List" (I do not remember well the name of the function) and automate the opening of the file, a save for the web, the jpg compression and the destination folder for all at once.

I worked with Johnson and Johnson taking pictures of every single product they have for their data base and believe me there is always a manual and an automatic way to do things, but never trust to much in the automatic way, you have to make it easyer for the computer (actually for you) so you won't loose too much time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.