Graphic design student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IanGahagan, Jun 25, 2012.

1. IanGahagan macrumors member

So I have a rMBP(2.6,16,512) ordered and am expecting it at the end of July but from what I have read is that cs6 won't be updated to handle the retina display till the end of the year and I would be using the computer heavily this being my 3rd year of design school starting in the fall. Baised on my needs should I cancel and order the uMBP 2.6 put 16gigs of ram in and a solid state drive with the high-res display? I planed on the rmbp for future proofing since its what to come of laptops in the future and I know the unibody is going to be phased out but I need something that will run cs6 visually the way it should be.

Btw I never needed my own Mac until my third year, and this will be my first.
    I hope this all makes sense.

2. bap3221 macrumors member

16 GB is a bit excessive just for graphic design applications. I do 3D Animation and thats definitely an application that can use 16 GB of RAM.

I run Autodesk Maya, Photoshop and the internet at 2 GB on my Macbook Pro A1150. Not many applications are going to be able to run on the new retina display. I would say to cancel. Get the MBP from last year at a quarter of the price used, then wait for Apple to come up with upgrades to the MBP. That way it gives Apple time to fix any issues that may come up.

3. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

I was wondering if 8gigs of ram would be enough, I'm just concerned about the phasing out of the unibody.

4. Emil889 macrumors newbie

I got about the same issues as you got. In my opinion it is hard to justify a purchase of the non retina mbp since I'll end up with spending even more money on a laptop because I want at least 8 gb ram and 1680x1050 display and a 256 gb SSD. That's about $2499 :(

The retina on the other hand is actually quite cheap considering what kind of hardware you're getting. I can get 16 gb ram and 256 gb SSD and a high resolution screen for a total of $2399.

To bad the software won't allow me to use the hardware at its best. So what should I do? Really want myself a laptop that's mostly going to be used for graphic design and photography and some part of me screams that I should by the retina because it's just a matter of time before all of the software is retina-friendly.

Just My thoughts, any comments? :)

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

8gb is enough. If you have the spare money, upgrading to 16 would be nice but not entirely necessary.

6. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

For sure the rmbp is a great deal if you count in the flash storage and such!

I need more input people!

7. valleydesign macrumors member

Looks like I'll be getting my rMBP (2.7/16/512) on wed. this week. I run CS6 everyday and I'm not concerned the least bit about the retina issues. I have a tough time thinking its really as bad as people make it out to be. Plus, Adobe has already said they are working on Ps and I'm sure they will be updating Id, Ai, and the rest of the suite shortly after. Your workflow might be less than perfect for the time being but unless you are doing some large amounts of serious work for clients (in which case you should really be working on an external monitor) I wouldn't worry.

The first thing I'm doing once that box is opened is installing CS6 and clearing out some work thats been piling up. If I have time, I'll stop back and do a quick rMBP review based on CS6 and a designers needs.

8. IanGahagan thread starter macrumors member

Great! That would be awesome, and that is reassuring, telling from your user name i can probably take your word for it :)

9. bap3221 macrumors member

4 GB itself is enough so 8 will be just perfect..

10. wiseoak1 macrumors member

Nice, looking forward to your quick review.