Graphic Design, Tablets, and Life

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Seventh Shin, May 26, 2011.

1. Seventh Shin, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

Seventh Shin macrumors newbie

Seventh Shin

Hello, I’m new here, though I’ve done my far share of visiting and it seems to be a friendly enough place for what I’m going to ask.

I was going to ask about graphic tablets, though I'm currently going through some la-de-da in school, and thought I might ask for some advice.

I'd consider myself a bit of a photographer, and when getting into a major came around, I got into film with the idea that I could focus on the cinematography side of things. Either way, perhaps it's just my school, but I'm half way through a Radio-TV-Film degree (one more year to go) and I honestly don't think I can take it anymore, the nonsense and complete lack of effort needed, not to mention lack of any real technological knowledge being earned, is my main issue. Though I am quite talented at making up papers.

I'm looking at a “Design Studies” program, and no thanks whatsoever to my school, I'm assuming it's a broad study of graphic design and similar fields. I'm interested in graphic design (i.e. logos, business cards, and whatnot), GUI design for websites and/or games, and at the same time, texture art for video games (or the total long-shot dream job would be Automotive Design). All of which, I’m assuming and hoping will be covered in the aforementioned major. I know a degree is a degree, but I’d hope to get some technical abilities out of one, which I’m not currently doing with film, and like I said, I simply can’t stand the film program.

That being said, I am quite experienced with Photoshop, and Dreamweaver to a lesser extent, but not much else. I’m trying to mess around in Illustrator with varying degrees of success, and I’d be more then interested in learning other programs, whatever they may be.

Now, I’ve also developed an interest in getting a Graphic Tablet, of which I’ve never used, to help with all that. I’ve been researching the Wacom tablets, and I’m looking at the Bamboo or the Intous4. The Bamboo is cheaper, but with fewer features, but I likely would be able to get a larger version for the same price as a smaller, yet higher-end Intous4. Which would be better for graphic design and the like? How limiting can the size of these things be? Is larger better then more features? I’d also be using it for drawing, but I’m not doing any of that professionally, and don’t really think I will ever be doing so, but I would like the ability to draw on one.

So I’m looking for advice on what tablet to get, and at the same time whether I should be bailing half way through a degree for a graphic design one (which would net me one more year of college).

Thanks so much for your time, I know this is a bit of an ask, but who better to turn to then the internet, especially you lot, who certainly know your stuff.

2. BBrandDesign macrumors member

I think it’s a kind of good job to have a graphic design as this work gives lot of excitement in graphing the designs also gives ideas to formulate much more your experience. So wish you all the best.