Graphic Design, video, photography macbook retina set up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kisakisa, Sep 30, 2014.

1. kisakisa macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Wondering if you could help me with the best office set up for design, video / photography editing with my macbook (retina 15 inch 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB 500 gig storage).

I have looked into buying an imac but most of them are not even as fast as my buffed up laptop... running adobe programs + final cut pro and my scratch disk is full. What is the best set up?

Do I run programs off thunderbolt memory / other memory with an external monitor ?

Am I better off with another iMac?

Do I transfer all my adobe programs to an external SSD drive and if so which one?

On what do you run your adobe programs? I do need a bigger monitor and more storage... obviously 500 gig doesnt cut it for everything I want to do. But I dont want to waste money if I dont need to. Please help!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

You'd probably have to go to forums and ask people specifically about each program and task to figure out how to optimize hardware. A generally faster Mac won't necessarily speed up each task; depends on the details.

You're probably right that you'd have to go up to more cores (i.e. Mac Pro) to get substantially more speed. A SSD really helps in lots of general tasks, though. And fast external storage as well, probably RAID options. I'd check in FCP or Adobe forums to find out more.