Graphic Design

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jimmason, May 11, 2014.

1. jimmason macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    could anyone recommend a free program to design a logo, I am looking to start my own business and require something to help me create this.
    any help appreciated.

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

3. jimmason thread starter macrumors newbie

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you a designer?

My spidey senses say 'no'.

I would not create my own logo ... unless I was a designer.

What kind of logo are you looking for?

5. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

As Citizenzen has commented, I think you really need a someone rather than a something to help create your logo.

As a Design Director of a branding agency and Creative Director of my own design consultancy and I really cannot advocate the importance of brand for a start-up business strongly enough. You are going to require a little more than a logo if you want to your business to be successful.

Please let me know if you would like some more information. ;)

6. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I'd agree with the other posters to a certain extent about not creating your own logo. The tendency is to create a logo that *you* like, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you're not the intended audience!

The purpose of the logo is to project an image of your company - just because you personally like a logo doesn't mean it's going to send the right message. For example, you might design a cool and funky logo: that might be great for a record label but if the business is a bank then customers might want to think of your business as dependable and reliable.

A good graphic designer, or someone with branding skills can help you with this sort of thing. They'll also make sure it's going to be easily reproducible in print, online etc. However, they don't come cheap and if you're a small startup then maybe you can't afford them. In which case, why not just choose a nice looking font and use that as your logo until such time as you can afford some professional help?

Of course, its your business. If you want to design your logo, go ahead! I'd be looking at something like InkScape in your position.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

↑ This.

1) You can design your own logo if you want, though I wouldn't hold up any hope of the result unless it was purely typographic.

2) Software knowledge is no substitution for design knowledge.

3) Brand is an important tool for marketing and overall saliency of your business, just like an accountant it can make or break a start up. Think of it in this terms, do you want to look professional?

4) My advice would be to team up with a good creative professional, and see if there's any means for a skill set trading relationship. I've done the same with people in the past, I design for them they help me out. Think of it as a barter.

8. jimmason thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the reply's guys, I take on board what you are telling me and will seek the help of a professional.