Graphic Designer. Best Configuration for a Matte Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blumac14, May 28, 2008.

1. Blumac14 macrumors newbie

I'm a graphic designer, just graduated college last year and have owned a Dell Desktop for the past 5 years now. I've grown used to Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. on Windows but have been itching to make the switch.

Currently, I use my computer mainly for iTunes, internet, photos. My day-to-day design work is done at an office away from home on an HP Compaq. However, I have begun getting design jobs (both print and web jobs) on the side and am anxious to get a Mac for my growing personal job use. I'd need to use mainly Adobe CS3, Office, the usual.

Initially, after playing around at the Apple store, I fell in love with the 24" Aluminum iMacs... huge screen, minimal space taken up on my desk, wireless keyboard/mouse means hardly any wires and a clean setup. But as a graphic designer the glossy screen concerns me a bit.

I'm trying to come up with the best option where I can have a large matte display at a reasonable cost (no more than $3,000).

Two options I came up with...

1. 24" refurbished white iMac (through Apple.com)
    -- PROS: low cost, clean desk
    -- CONS: older model, limited to 3GB RAM,

2. 15" MacBook Pro + 23" Apple Cinema Display
    -- PROS: portability (take MBP to show work to clients)
    -- CONS: more than 2x the cost of the white iMac, more space taken on desk

When at home I would most likely use my mac at my desk, is it worth it to go for the MacBook Pro + ACD setup for the limited times I may move my MacBook Pro?

Is the refurbished 24" white iMac a wise purchase when I hope to be able to use this computer for the next 4 years?

Is there another option I'm not thinking of?

What do you all think? I look forward to your comments and need some input to contain myself before I make a crazy impulse buy!

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Get the MBP but get another brand of monitor, Dell or another H-IPS screen, it will be cheaper, and possibly better spec

3. dal20402 macrumors 6502

You can't be sure that a Dell monitor will be IPS. They use whatever they can get their hands on (IPS or *VA for their high-end lines).

Most 23"+ monitors guaranteed to be IPS (which is far more important for a graphic designer than glossy or matte) are priced close to the Apple ones, although other brands often have more features.

Monitor specs never compare apples to apples. They are even more worthless than specs for consumer-grade audio equipment. Use the monitor and see how you feel about it.