Graphic designer, MBP or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jabz, Oct 19, 2008.

1. jabz macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am a graphic designer and I have decided it is time to make the switch to mac.
    I just can't decide if I should go for the new macbook pro, or an iMac?
    Do you think the 17inch screen is big enough on the pro?
    Is it fast enough? Can I run multiple adobe programs, as well as other things without it lagging on me?

Any advice?

2. t4cgirl macrumors member

A great combination with no compromise is the 24" LCD display and the 15" MacBook Pro. If you're looking to save a bit of money, the Dell 24" high end (Ultrasharp) monitors are only about $5-600 depending on the day, and they're great.

IMO the best combo is a MBA for travel/cafes, and the home office an 8GB Mac Pro and two 30" LCDs.

A Mac Pro with 8GB of memory (that's a <$300 upgrade from NewEgg) is just fantastic for running multiple Adobe programs + Office + a browser with dozens of tabs. And you -will- notice the horsepower of the MP -- not that you push it to the limits, but that it just never blinks at rapidly switching between active, heavy-duty apps with complex tasks in progress.

That all said, the iMac or MBP alone would serve you well, too -- just make sure to visit NewEgg to get a memory upgrade to 4GB.

It's all a matter of how much $$ you're willing to spend on your work environment. Go for a setup that you can expand into and push yourself in, not one that constrains you and forces you to make the best of it.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I run several websites--and do it all from my home so I don't have a real need for a laptop. But I know I would seriously miss the 24 inch screen. It may not be such a big asset for coding but for photo and graphics editing, it is phenomenal. So I would go for the bigger screen advantage of the iMac.

4. tom burns macrumors member

As a graphic designer myself and owner of a 20'' iMac, I can surely say that the 20'' iMac screen is not at all good in color correction...
    Maybe MBP so you can easily attach a decent external monitor...

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That seems like:
    A. Overkill
    B. Ungodly expensive considering what the OP suggested
    C. Overkill

Agree... my advice might be to wait (if you can) for the 17" MacBook Pro to be updated in January. This would settle your fears about Adobe programs and what not. Agree with previous posters with the external. Dell is decent for value or LaCie or some other pro if you need the extreme quality.

6. t4cgirl macrumors member

Usually does seem like overkill to those who are used to piles of windows, apps on top of apps, on their little laptop screens! At least we were spared the lecture on how no one who doesn't plumb astronomical data for the origin of the universe would ever use 8 cores.

Again, it's all a matter of how much $$ you're willing to spend on your work environment. Go for a setup that you can expand into and push yourself in, not one that constrains you and forces you to make the best of it.

7. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks for all your advice.
    I am leaning towards the macbook pro.
    However someone mentioned that there is an upgrade in January? Do y ou think it's worth the wait? Didn't they just upgrade?

8. jTreu macrumors 6502

15" MBP w/ a dell 20-24" external is a great choice, that's what I would go for.

9. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Same here. Portable for on the road. Desktop capabilities for at home/work. :)

10. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

holy crap another thread asking which mac someone should get, a notebook or a desktop.

nobody can tell you what's better because nobody knows how much you're on the move.

11. tremulant14 macrumors newbie

I agree with the 15" MBP. Of course you're going to have to upgrade the ram, and possibly get an external HD.

I just switched my major to graphic design, and have had my 15" MBP for 2 years, so I'd say it is the best choice. Also, make sure to get a decent mouse, I actually wouldn't recommend the Apple Mice for graphic design.

For Ram: http://www.crucial.com
    For External HD, the Western Digital 250 portable HD is 90 dollars at BB and CC. I just got it for my mac, and it works wonderfully.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Like with the first Intel MacBook Pro's they introduced and upgrade the 15" and then released the 17" in January. This is likely to happen again, the better question is whether or not they upgrade the 15" significantly in January. They did (sort of) upgrade the 17", however it's not the new model, but it was upgraded (SSD and others) but no new case, trackpad or the other major features.

Update: See Balty's post

13. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

You mean the 17".... :D

14. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so is it worth the wait for the upgraded MBP 17"? Is is significantly better than the older ones? or current ones I mean.
    Perhaps I should just go with the 15" new one.
    Ohhhh decisions! I would like the 17", as a designer the larger the screen the better, however I could just go with 15" and maybe later down the line get a second monitor?

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would wait, the new one is going to have more features amongst other things. It's really a large difference. Glass trackpads, better battery life, better graphics, new design and what not...

16. MichaelLogan macrumors newbie

MBP with a good, calibrated external monitor. I keep the Dock and my Mail, iChat and iTunes windows on my MBP screen, along with any huge or marginally-useful palettes for page layout and image-editing apps.

And I can take the MBP on the road, and work on vacation. Or do a presentation. Or look at photos when I'm shooting (I do that, too).

I have no deeply-held opinion about matte/glossy screens (I've only ever had matte), but will educate myself before I commit to a new MBP and a new ACD.

17. Horst Guest

I strongly suggest to do some research on the quality of current MB and MBP displays before you buy.

Don't know about the latest version, but the former MB(P)s did not have good enough screens to be used for working with images of any kind, so you might need the second monitor anyways.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but this is kinda of one those questions of "if you have to ask" you shouldnt be asking. I am not a photo professional, but it is my understanding that there are not really any notebooks of the caliber of external professional monitors like LaCie.