Graphic Designer needs advice on what to buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jrgvill, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jrgvill macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

First of all, let me tell you. I've been reading this forum for several months or even for a year I think.. right now I'm a PC user, I've got a Sony Vaio Desktop but I've been looking to make the transition and get a Mac since my PC is quite old and it's in need of a change.

I'm a graphic designer and just finished college so I'm really on a budget.. I wish I could get a macbook pro but since the dollar for us in Mexico keeps on rising.. the prices have gone up incredibly! and right now I'm torn on what to get and will be more useful to me since I use the Adobe Creative Suite (mainly photoshop and illustrator, also dreamweaver and some flash) for my work and wish to make the Mac my main computer.

So.. my the decision was between a white macbook with 4GB in ram and a unibody macbook with 2GB in ram but yesterday I saw a macbook air for a great price! (less than a unibody macbook) but apparently it's 1st generation since it only has 80gb of hard drive with 2gb in ram, so it's been difficult to me to tell the difference among all and which will be more useful for my needs.. i was also thinking on getting an iMac but i think i'll need more portability since i plan on travel quite a bit.

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated.. hope all of you don't mind. Thanks

2. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I think you should stay away from the Air if this is going to be your primary computer. Especially the first revision. The Air is great as a sidekick to your main computer, but I don't think it's a great choice if you are looking for something to last or something that suits a graphic designer.

Go with one of the other two options. Now that the White MacBook has the nVidia 9400M, I think that laptop with 4 GB RAM would be your best choice.

3. ritzuk macrumors member

Hi there,

I think the white Macbook would be a good choice. You can always expand it with an external monitor and external hard disk if you need more space!