Graphic Designer/ video editor looking to buy a new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ddevin2005, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ddevin2005 macrumors newbie

I am a Graphic Designer and a video editor who is considering buying a new imac. The applications I plan to run include Adobe suite which will include photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and will be doing video editing with Final Cut Studio 6 and its included programs Finalcut pro, motion, and color. I will "not" be using this as a gaming computer.

The Imac I am considering is the 24-inch : 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 640GB hard drive1, 8x double-layer SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics.

Would this system be enough to run the mentioned applications smoothly. How does this video card hold up since it is NOT a dedicated memory.:)

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

That iMac is ok for what you do. I recommend going up to the 2.93GHz iMac with the Nvidia 120 GT.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree with MacMini2009. It's just 300$ more but it'll help a lot in video editing. Is graphic designing your job or just hobby? If it's your job, get the best you can because if you spend ~8 hours a day designing and editing, you might consider Mac Pro

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I agree, if you can afford it or swing it even if you can't afford it , the MacPro is a superior machine for the video work.
    Times will be cut dramatically.

5. ddevin2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do graphic design as a profession. I was considering this imac because of the price. Mac Pro seems to be to high for me. I also work at a Community Access Television station which uses 2007 models (some power pc, others intel at most 2gb or ram) of imac. They run final cut pro for the most part and rendering seems to be a normal speed for them.

the 2.99 ghz imac maybe the highest I go with my budget. But if the 2.66 can still deliver good performance then I may want to stick with that...

dev

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Okay. If Mac Pro is out of your budget, then get the 2.93GHz iMac. Dedicated GPU is almost a must for professional video editing

I would still try to squeeze some money for Mac Pro because it's a beast

7. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

The rendering would be half to a quarter the time with a MacPro.

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I have an iMac rev A 2.8 Extreme, 500 GB HD, and 4 Megs of RAM. I use all of the same programs and I have no issues with using this machine.

I went from a G4 Desktop to the imac because I could not afford a MacPro. I have no regrets and love how this iMac performs!

9. ddevin2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would your 2.8Ghz video compare with the new 2.6Ghz Video Card?

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If you're doing ANY Motion work, the 9400m graphics won't cut it...at all. Do yourself a favor and go for the dedicated graphics...