Graphic Drivers with Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gmanist1000, Sep 14, 2011.

1. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I'm new to having Windows 7 on my Mac using bootcamp... I was just wondering if you have to manually download the new AMD graphic drivers for Windows, or will bootcamp do it automatically for me? Do I just run Windows update and Apple Software Update and it will find the latest drivers?

I have also seen AMD Catalyst and was wondering if that was essential to getting great graphics performance on Windows.

Thanks!

2. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I used to have a Leopard/Vista configuration. Apple's bootcamp drivers identified my card as a ATI Mobility Radeon 2600, whereas I have a Radeon HD 2600 Pro. Installing the catalyst drivers changed this and gave me much better performance for games...

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Do it manually, the Apple supplied ones are outdated to say the least. Easiest option is to do it through Steam.

4. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I used to have a Leopard/Vista 32-bit config (same Mac)

I now have Snow leopard and went ahead and installed win7 x64 last night. Everything works just fine, except that my video card was once again recognized as a ATI Radeon Mobility 2600 XT, whereas I have a Radeon HD2600 Pro.
    No problem, I thought, was the same with vista and installing the Catalyst drivers fixed that. Not so in Win7 x64, I'm afraid. And I installed Win7 just to have better game performance.
    Help !!