Graphic drivers

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by niewiesznic, Aug 31, 2011.

1. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Hello,
    I wonder if Apple is ever going to make GOOD GRAPHIC DRIVERS for professional use. Modo (3D software Apple is using in benchmarks on their WWW) in Windows on the same hardware is faster then on Mac, also on mac I get stuttering during work.
    I believe good graphic drivers would also make gamers happy.
    When using Flatout 2 game I can only make one race, after that stuttering and 3fps per second mode is on ... After I restart the game, I can race again. (performance is not so good anyway, but better then on second race).
    I use Samsung SSD and 8GB Ram on MacBook Pro 5.1 unibody.

I was hoping Mac OS X Lion would bring GOOD, ROCK SOLID AND FAST OpenGL drivers, but it did not...

Apple ! Don't kill pro users.

P.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Remember you have a Geforce 8600M GT, which is quite horrible performance-wise. It was already old in 2008 when the MacBook Pro 5.1 was released.

You have a graphic card that is in legacy support mode from the vendor itself, and Apple still relies on updates from NVIDIA.

3. niewiesznic thread starter macrumors regular

niewiesznic

You are wrong. My Macbook have nVidia 9600GT 512Mb VRAM, and more important thing is I get much better results on Windows in OpenGL PRO apps then in Mac OS X, as I have mentioned in first post.
    Apple NEVER released good drivers for PRO's.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has been moving away from the professional sector more and more. They're more interested in the consumer market segment and for that group, the drivers are good enough.

5. niewiesznic thread starter macrumors regular

niewiesznic

I have moved to Apple Mac OS X due to the professional system from Windows (old times). Now is time to go back to Windows due to professional system ?
    Apple WAKE UP !

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is focusing its attention and resources on the customer segment that provides the best opportunity to make money. That is the consumer market, apple has long shown itself that it's spending less resources on its professional line of apps. Just look at Aperture 3, with the addition of faces. Or FCP both are more prosumer apps then professional

I'm not criticizing apple, just making a point that apple is focusing its attention on a given sector (at the expense of other markets) to maximize its profits

7. Lokheed macrumors regular

That actually makes little sense, in the realm of graphics. I agree they are far more consumer friendly, but it is this exact sector that drives the boost in graphics, not the professional sector.

The reason PCs currently come with 1-3GB video cards (or offer them through aftermarket upgrades) is entirely because of the consumer segment. They aren't built for digital video editing or photo editing professionals, but rather for game developers and gamers.

And this is a market that has steadily been growing for Apple. Games represent most of the money shuffling through the App Store, and I'm sure the Mac App Store will follow suite.

Back some 5 years ago, Apple had very few games to sell to their users, that has very much changed and continues to evolve thanks to the Intel platform (and Apple's strategic business practices and pro-consumer distribution model).