Graphic glitches after HDD Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pavid, Jan 29, 2010.

1. pavid macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently updated my hard drive in my 2007 macbookpro from the 160gb that came with it to a western digital 640gb.

installation and everything went well, but there are some really annoying glitches in the graphics. link in finder, when in the list view, the folder titles start to overlap when i click on different ones. and things disappear on other programs, and actually the whole machine seems a bit laggy. doesnt seem to make sense...

any suggestions?

i currently have 2gb of ram, but maybe it needs more (think it only goes to 4gb) to function with the large hdd upgrade?

thanks a lot

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Did it act like that before the hard drive upgrade? If not something went wrong, more ram wont fix it.

3. pavid thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't...

It was getting slow because i only had a few gb left, that is why i go a new one.
    But i don't see what could have gone wrong in the installing of the hard drive, surely it is something to do with the graphics and the software?

but overall it is pretty slow...

very annoying

cheers

4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

maybe something got botched when you opened it up?

my bro just installed a seagate 500 7200 with no issues at all. took him 5mins to put it in and then about 15mins to restore and its been working phenomenal he said.

i installed a SSD and again no glitches, very simple process. I can't see how putting a new HDD in would cause something like this unless something got damaged while the thing was opened?

can you put the old HDD back in and just do some troubleshooting?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Older mbp's need to have the whole top case removed in order to upgrade the HD. Anything can go wrong during such a surgery.

6. pavid thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, i really hope i didnt mess anything up... i did it carefully, but maybe i didnt plug something in properly?

but i mean its working fine, just pretty slow. not as speedy as i thought i might be...

im worried if i take it out, it could mess it up evenmore.

recon its worth sending it in?

cheers

7. pavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anything think it could be a virus that is slowing it down?

I tried to send someone a word document, but when they tried to open it, it said it was infected by a virus?

I don't have any anti virus software on here, but maybe I should get some?

cheers

dave

8. pavid thread starter macrumors newbie

seems a lot speedier now after i did a virus scan.

I had a load of viruses in my word documents...

very strange...