Graphic Issue on MPB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zap2, Sep 24, 2010.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So my screen is giving me issue...not so much the physical screen, but the actual image on my display. I took some screen shots. I assume its something related to the graphics card, but I'd love more info.

The screen shots didn't end up working, they came out all black. But basically the image breaks up into a a difference blocks, then reorganizes itself. You can see it repeats sections of the Window, but makes it impossible to try to work. Or sometimes part of a Safari Window will stay "on top" of any other Window.

Any suggestions?(I'm going to Apple on monday)
    (Also I'll try to get some screen shots)

(Edit, it happened again, screenshot was all black again, weird stuff. I can't do without my laptop, so I'm hoping Apple will replace it outright if its hardware based)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

When was the laptop bought, what generation is it, what specs does it have? We can't help you with none of that info mentionned.

3. tastychicken macrumors member

^ What he said. It was very common for MBP's with the 8600M GT to fail because of the graphics card.

4. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

I'm having a similar issues on a 2010 i5 mbpro.

I am running gfxCardStatus v1.8.1 and found the display "blocking" is occurring more and more frequently when the intel HD graphics are in use. When i switch to the nvidia the issue is usually corrected. I'm going to try uninstalling gfxCardStatus and resetting smc and pram.

Anyone else having similar issues?

5. daviduj macrumors newbie

How can i reset smc and what is pram???

6. zumbooruk1 macrumors newbie

I've been having a similar issue. Windows within a program turns into a jumbled mosaic while the windows around it remain fine. Screen grabs have been coming out black too. I think the problem mostly occurs around flash in safari(maybe just coincidence since I browse a lot), but I've also had instances where it's occurred in pages and some other non-web browser programs.

I've been meaning to take it in to the genius bar to make sure it isn't a faulty graphics chip. As mentioned, gfxcardstatus is great and the problem goes away when you turn off dynamic switching and go into the nvidia chip... once you go back to the intel chip, the problem comes back.

7. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

Please keep us posted if you take it in. After resetting pram smc and removing gfxcardstatus, I've had the issue only once (was seeing it pretty frequently prior). I do hope it's something software related though.

8. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Your post sums up the same thing that happens to be exactly.

Random piece of the safari window in the center just freezes and if you scroll it stays on time, sometimes it's all blocky. If I force a switch to nvidea it goes away right away.

Also happens sometimes if I have a desktop with a lot of screenshots and try to select them all.

And sometimes this happens:

[​IMG]

It's pretty much the same pattern form when it happens elsewhere. Just random colored pixelated squares.

9. Raggy macrumors newbie

Happens to me too. Just leave it on Nvida and it seems fine. Usually happens when a lot of tabs are open and flash is playing.

10. greylee macrumors member

YES! it happened to me too! im freaking out! it happens when i use safari for like 6 hours then when i go to the top site and click on one of the top site during the transaction there will be tons of the blocking/mosaic. And when that happens, i go to my gmail, tired to reply email, the moment i click 'reply' the whole safari window turns into those blocks/mosaic. and when i tried to take a screen shot, it just comes out black. and the preview app is showing the mosaic too when i try to view the screen shot. But if i just quit safari then open it again everything will be back to normal.
    so what exactly is the problem?! and do i need to go the genius bar? can apple even fix it?!

I have the 2010 i5 core, 4.8 GT/s MBP with intel HD graphics GPU (in use) and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU.

anyone can help me?! I spend a huge portion of my college fund on my MBP. So it has to be perfect. HELP :(

11. Chemical1 macrumors newbie

12. greylee macrumors member

ok Im not a computer smart person thats why i ditched PC and went for my MBP. so basically this is something with the graphic card and flash 10.1 so it's kinda soft/hardware problem that even apple can't really fix it?!
    then what i do? wait for new apple updates? take in to genius bar have them try to fix it?
    im really paranoid....as i said, i spend a good amount of my college fund on this MBP i expect it to be perfect and last for couple years!!

13. Chemical1 macrumors newbie

In my experience it was not hardware, it was a software problem with Flash. I'm not sure if newer versions of Flash have fixed it but I re-installed Flash 10.0 and haven't had the problem anymore so I'm going to stay with it.

14. greylee macrumors member

I dont really remember if it stopped when i uninstalled flash 10.1 but yea im using the 10.1 flash right now.

I wonder if genius bar can figure out why....

15. Chemical1 macrumors newbie

16. wizzardface macrumors newbie

So glad i found this thread, I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15" i7 (NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M) and im getting the same problem. I am going to downgrade to flash 10 from 10.1 and hopefully this will fix my problem.

Il let you all know if i get it still.

Wizz

17. wizzardface macrumors newbie

Went apple store today, Got told that there will be a software update for the problem. In the meantime use firefox :(

Although they did change my 5400 HDD for a 7200rpm HDD free of charge :) as i have been getting slow performance with Logic Pro 9

18. chinitasaurus macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple store a number of times to resolve this issue. Finally, after the 5th visit, they allowed me to replace my MBP. I just picked up my new MBP yesterday, but after using it for a while today, the same issues reappeared!

I wasn't given any explanation for why the distortions occur, except that it is an issue recognized by Apple, and that they do not know how to fix it yet. Though, at the Genius Bar, many of the techs have never even seen the problem before. Also, lots of mac users don't know about it. I think the explanation with Flash is convincing, as I did install Flash 10.1 today. Maybe I will use Firefox.

Hopefully there will be a software fix, soon. We are the lucky users who get stuck with the machines that exhibit these flaws.

19. spirit16 macrumors newbie

Hey, any news here? Is the problem gone and if so what did you do?