Graphic & Menu design critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by yagran, Jul 10, 2007.

1. yagran macrumors 6502a

Hi ive just started work on a little project of mine, and before i go any further with the design, i wanted to just get your opinions.

the areas im looking for critique in:
    • Menu design, use of transparency..
    • Colour Scheme (too dark?)
    • search box style
    • Use of fonts

thanks alot for taking a look, any help/criticism will be greatfully recieved...

[​IMG]

2. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I'd add a separator between each of the Menu links to break them up a little:-

Home | News | Forum etc...

They also look a little big for the size of the blue bar background. Maybe add a mouse over effect as well?

I like the search box that looks boss...

That's my 2 cents worth

3. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Knew straight away you were scouse

Anyway, what is going in the grey boxes in the background, will it interfere with the semi-transparent drop down menus.

I prefer the first Protege(V2) logo

5. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

ermm..text and pictures, ill have to make them more opaque i guess. thanks for that

also i prefer the first too, i was told elsewhere it didnt look that great. hmm.what does anyone else think?

6. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

that lines up well - spot on

what do you reckon?

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I don't like the font. Reminds me too much of a typewriter and outdated technology or print....

Maybe your page background should be white. That way the grey overlapping sub menus won't clash.

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

thats because the font is called american typewriter (i think)

9. rajfantastic macrumors member

rajfantastic

that font (american typewriter) will not display as text unless the user has it installed on their system. this is assuming you're using an XHTML/CSS approach to building it, rather than Flash. You could, however, use flash font replacement. I'd suggest a web-friendly font like courier for the text.

10. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

good point - American typewriter is not installed on Windows systems... and thats what most people use

11. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

personally, i think the menu items should be spaced out a little more horizontally (for the primary menu) and vertically (for the drop downs)

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yes I knew that. I only mentioned it to make the connection and logical progression to "outdated technology" clearer.

I hate courier-esque monotype fonts for websites (unless you're doing a print scheme/theme). Doesn't work for me.

13. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

so, could you clarify. woy want a more retro plain background, but a more up to date font?! i like the font i think it will stay sorry

14. phatphil macrumors member

To start, I would try a sans-serif font such as Helvetica or Arial.

15. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Woy?

If you like it fine. I just don't (at least not with your theme/concept). :cool:

Ditto. That's a start. For body text anyway.

16. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

update

Hi there. ive had another play around with this concept work.
    its evolved into this now:

[​IMG]

ive used helvetica for the main text and stuck with my american typewriter for titles and headers (call me crazy but i love it).

the content is bad i know, but with more things in place how do you see it shaping up? it seems like it has to many ideas on one page to me atm, any help greatfully recieved. thanks

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, I won't try to argue you out of the mix of Helvetica Neue (which I like, natch) and American Typewriter (which I think is just not suited for this application, also natch)....

But, I will say, I think that the bars at the top and bottom, including the search piece, right now seem as if the text is oversized for the bar (also the search mag glass icon). I think it'd look better if you dropped all that text down a size and also made the search icon slightly smaller.

EDIT: Also I do have to say that, assuming you stick with the American Typewriter, it looks much better in boldface than it does in standard....you might try making the "Recent Clients" and "Who we are" text boldfaced.

18. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank for your ever amazing advice. will get right on those changes :D

19. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i know american typewriter is a kind of nice font, but it really doesn't suit the design. Just keep the text (bar the logo) helvetica. it is a no fuss, no frills font.

20. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

If you're sticking with American Typewriter, it may be me but I just don't think the logo compliments the navbar underneath. It looks like it's just been stuck there out of place, and I feel that the logo should fit in with the whole look of the sight.

I actually do like the typeface, but like mkrishnan, the size should be smaller.

One last thing, however it might be a bit picky, is the 'Recent Clients' side bar. I don't personally like the way that the arrow colour 'blends' into one of the backgrounds, but doesn't in the other. I think the arrow should be the same colour as the background.

However it might just be me ...

21. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I agree, use another shade of gray in there or something, it loses the continuity when it blends in the background.

22. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks to all your replies

Here's the latest version I'm aiming for:

[​IMG]

and if you want you can take a look at the htl version im slowly putting together at http://www.mcfluffit.com/beta (really slow loading atm because none of the images are not yet optimized - still .png, and plus i dont think it works at all in ie? anyone know why?). Its taking me a long time though because I'm busy, and its actually been a while since i made a proper html and css mini site, most of my work is in flash and in template design, so any tips on cleaning up my code? because im sure theyer is a better way to aline that menu? (currently im floating one after the other - i tried using display:inline and display:inline-block but to no avail.)

thanks!