Graphic performance way down... Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkanok, May 7, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Hey everyone,

I have a 2.2 SR mbp that I bought just under a year ago, and I've installed windows through bootcamp, installed a few games, and everything was perfectly fine up till a week or so ago.

First thing is, back when I first bought this thing, I installed doom 3 for windows within bootcamp, and I was able to get well over 70 frames per second. Now, however, 50% of the time I get less than 30. I also have UT3 (Unreal Tournament 3) which worked very well, again, until a week or two ago. Now, sometimes it runs terribly, and sometimes very well.

Onto the OS X side of things, just like in windows, 50% of the time I start my computer, the animations of things like expose, the dashboard, stacks are all choppy as hell. Yet sometimes, they are extremely smooth. I even installed the demo for Tomb Raider Anniversary, and it too suffers from these issues. Sometimes it runs well, sometimes not.

So it isn't only windows related, which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue; I'm actually becoming paranoid that maybe my graphics card is defective. Does anybody else have this problem, had this problem, or know how to fix this problem?

2. kashik macrumors regular

The only thing I can suggest is make sure the laptop is plugged in when gaming in bootcamp. The video card is clocked back when the computer is unplugged to conserve power.

I doubt this is the problem, but see what happens.

Worst comes to worst, reinstall osx.