Graphic/Print design People, Question about print technique/type

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by SamIchi, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. SamIchi macrumors 68030


    Aug 1, 2004
    Anyone know what name of the print type/technique where a glossy graphic is placed over a matte surface? They don't necessarily have different colors, it just shows different textures. Almost like thin plastic sticker is placed over the matte surface.

    I've mostly seen them on book covers and product packaging, anyone know what this type of printing is called?
  2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a


    Oct 8, 2008
    Are you referring to a spot varnish?
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Jul 4, 2004
    Spot Varnish or the usual abbrevation: Spot UV. Love them in the right place.

    Super glossy. Often run over a matt laminate to heighten contrast between different textures. Usually set up as a different channel within the same artwork, either as vector (often type) or bitmap.

    Allow a little extra time for the printers to do it.
  4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030


    Aug 1, 2004
    Exactly what I was looking for, Cool thanks guys!

Share This Page