Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Any suggestions for a good graphics tablet?
I checked wacom etc and wanted to see what people who used its products thought about it.
My main pupose would be touch ups on photographs and painting like in Artrage2 etc.I like to get into that.

Just wondering if Adobe would recognise the tablet etc.
Also, is it worth getting a bluetooth wacome or just usb?
any suggestions would be great.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I have a Intuos3 A4, use it everyday from texture work to icon work. Best investment I've ever made.

Question is how big do you need if you're only going to do touch ups and not serious graphic work... though I'm sure if you get engrossed in it you'll use it all the time. Perhaps A5 or A5 Wide Intuos3? A6 seems too small http://www.wacom-europe.com/int/products/intuos/tablets.asp?lang=en&pdx=35

Yes Adobe recognises the Tablet. There's even app specific settings you can add to the Wacom control panel, should you desire.
penbrushessettingsvm9.jpg

I'd also stick to USB.

mooncaine

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2004
I have a Intuos3 A4, use it everyday from texture work to icon work. Best investment I've ever made.

Question is how big do you need if you're only going to do touch ups and not serious graphic work... though I'm sure if you get engrossed in it you'll use it all the time. Perhaps A5 or A5 Wide Intuos3? A6 seems too small...

I'd also stick to USB.

I use a Graphire CTE-440 [that's what it says on the back, but I'm sure I did not see a long modeln # like that when I bought it]. I love it. Mine's mouse-pad sized, which suits me [I'm used to drawing small and I like that it doesn't take up any more space than the mouse pad]. I asked myself if the Intuos' extra features meant anything to me, but nope, the Graphire does all I want from a tablet.

I'd go with USB, too, just because it would totally suck to have poor Bluetooth reception at a time when you want to paint.

justG

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
Orlando, FL, US
A Wacom is the only graphics tablet brand I'd ever recommend. If you can afford it, get an Intuos3; if you can't, the Graphire is still wonderful. I've been using one model or another for over 10 years, and am currently using the first Graphire model (ET), which I've been using for the past 8 years or so.

vohdoun is right that choosing the size that's right for you is important. wacom.com has a wizard that'll help you decide which size would be right for you. For most people, the 6x8/6x11 is sort of the "sweet spot," but I know people who have found it uncomfortable and prefer the smaller size. It really depends on how much space you have, how you're planning to use it (on your desk, at a short distance from the computer and leaning on your knee, whatever), and your wrist/arm movements. After you've used the wizard to help you pick a model, definitely try to check it out locally if you can. Spending a few minutes with one certainly won't help you make a definitive decision, but it's a start.

One thing. For most people, it's a little while before they consider a graphics tablet indispensable. In the beginning, people frequently find it uncomfortable to use, and also find it disorienting. Remember that unlike with paper and pencil or paintbrush and canvas, you're looking at one spot (the screen) and drawing elsewhere (the tablet). It definitely takes a little getting used to. Allow yourself the time, don't get discouraged or frustrated. If you use a mouse right now, or a touchpad, use the tablet frequently for 2-3 days, and then try to use it full-time for another 3-4 days. At the end of a week of solid use, you should be able to determine a) whether a tablet is right for you and b) whether you've bought the right size for yourself.

It really does make a world of difference, especially in an application like ArtRage. If you're like most of us who use a tablet, you'll soon wonder how you got on without one. Have fun, and good luck. =)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I just went through this myself. After a year of using a graphire 6x8, I was ready to upgrade to an intuos. I went back and forth on size, debating among a 4x6, 6x8 (forced to 5x8 to match my widescreen), and a 6x11. I eventually decided that a 4x6 seemed a little small for the money, and that a 6x8 didn't make much sense since a 6x11 is only about $25 more. I've been happy since, though keep in mind how much desk space the bigger sizes take up. The 6x11 is almost the same size as two mac keyboards.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I have a Wacom Intuos (forget what number) and use it for just about everything. The only complaint that I have about mine is that I got it back when they went thought their "see through" years (it is a blue see through plastic), so it isn't as cool looking as I once thought but I got a good deal on it at the time. Mine is the 9x12, I think, it is big, actually I find it to be too big at times, and if I was to upgrade it I would go with a medium sized one.. problem is that mine works perfectly so I can't justify buying new. Photoshop is where the tablet really makes a difference. You can get almost the same sensitivity that you would expect from a real brush. I can't image doing my design work without it.

Also, if you are a student then check out some of the student online stores as they often sell Wacom's at a discount with proof of enrollment.

Jessy

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
NE Ohio
I had a graphire4, and it was garbage compared to the Intuos 2 and 3 lines. I use an Intuos3 6x11, but it was a stupid purchase, because its size makes it unwieldy. I have it mapped so that only a small portion is active, similar to the area I would use of the 4x6 model. As such, I recommend the Intuos3 4x6.

However, if you are running dual monitors, I would suggest an Intuos3 6x8 instead, turned on its side, with the monitors mapped to be above/below each other instead of side-by-side as they probably are in physical space. My girlfriend uses that method, which is the same thing as having two 4x6 models. Most likely, if you are using a modern Mac, your screen has an 8:5 aspect ratio, so the effective areas are 6x3.75 for the 4x6 model (twice this for the 6x8 on its side), and 8x5 for the 6x8 model.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
They definitely USED to make an intuos 4x5. I think they still might; it fits the 4:3 format lineup whereas the 4x6 is part of the widescreen lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.