Graphic / Web design on 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xheathen, Sep 9, 2010.

1. xheathen macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Someone from another thread had suggested I see if this type of setup would work for what I'm looking at doing.

Current PC user - looking to go to Mac platform. Right now I do web design plus graphic design (more on the side). So I work with programs like DW or Coda with Illustrator and PS open at the same time. ITunes would also be open and running as well. And I usually work with files as large as about 500mb and as small as 20mb.

I don't really play many games (maybe starcraft 2), but my xbox is my gaming platform of choice, so I'll continue using that.

So I was just wondering if the MacBook Pro 2.66GHz 13" with either 4gb or 8gb of ram could handle all that with ease, or if something else would be required? Hopefully there is someone with this exact setup that can say first hand :)

Thanks in advance!

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

if you get a 13 in, you better get a external monitor. the screen space is really small

3. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I think it would handle the files ok with 4GB, but if you can afford 8GB, it would probably be safer. Maybe investigate going for a 15" as well, as when you are doing graphic design, you really reap the rewards of a larger screen. That is unless you are using it with a external monitor.

4. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

Unless you're going to be using an external monitor for most of your work with it, I wouldn't get anything less than the high-resolution 15". I ended up getting the 17" because there just weren't enough pixels on the 13", and Apple weren't offering the 1680x1050 option on the 15" at the time.

5. tiwizard macrumors regular

13" is great for portability, but I am getting an adapter for my monitor so that I have the full 1080p screen at my desk :)

And by the way, Adobe licenses do not transfer platforms-- you have to buy it again. It is quite annoying for me, but I have to upgrade to CS5 anyways...

6. xheathen thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have an external 24" monitor ready to go.

Also on the adobe software, have you called adobe? As recently as this year they have a service called cross grading where they charge you a restock fee and allow you to ship your pc software disks and they will send back Mac disks.

7. tiwizard macrumors regular

Yeah, chatted with their support. I have the academic version though, so it may be different for retail...

8. smetvid macrumors 6502

Do you really need this computer to be portable?

A base model iMac is the exact same price and you get a 21.5" 1920x1080 screen plus a cpu that is better then the one in the highest end 17" MBP.

Much better system for graphic design and it is what I use. I work full time as a Web Designer/animator using Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, Director, After Effects, Final Cut Studio and Cinema 4D. I also teach at a local college here. I haul this thing around with me between home, work and my night teaching gig with an iLugger bag. Yes it is heavy and it doesn't run off of a battery but unless you know you will be doing serious work without a power source then I highly suggest an iMac. Most bang for your buck and more comfortable then even a 17" MBP to work on for design. IMO