graphical corruption

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by qwerty2k, Apr 4, 2010.

1. qwerty2k macrumors regular

Hi guys (and gals),

ive got a late 2007 SR whitebook 2.2ghz 4gig of ram with intel gma x3100 using Snow Leopard 10.6.3

last couple months (i think) ive experienced some graphical corruption around the edges of apps (it goes black mostly but sometimes looks like lots of lines) it also happens in expose around the windows, also on dock icons.

It happened in 10.6.2 and now 10.6.3, its not happening at the moment which is annoying as i can't show you, my macbook seems to run very hot (well it feels hot underneath though the iStat dashboard shows it idling cpu at 57 degrees c).

is my macbook about to break? i need it to hold out until the new macbook pro's come out :(, anything i can do to stop the graphical corruption from happening as its very annoying!

2. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

Just as i post ive noticed that its happened, see the screenie

Attached Files:

3. GeekAtBirth macrumors member

GeekAtBirth

That is a graphics chip issue. The graphical errors are due to the chip failing, this MAY also be a sign of a Logic board failure. The only way to fix it is to go to the Apple store to get the whole logic board replaced, which will cost you a nice $600-700. Personally, I would try to use it until new or updated Macbook/Macbook Pro's are released.

4. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

damn, i was fearing the worst :( guess like you say just use it until it fails and hope the new macbook pro's are out before.

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? There are reports on here of people having very similar problems with Snow Leopard, the consensus seems to be it's unrelated to the hardware/graphics card:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=875410
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865797
    note iMacs are having the problem as well as x3100 Whitebooks.

OP: do some MRoogling, I think you will find lots of people with the same problem. Not clear what the fix is , there was lots of "I hope 10.6.3 fixes this" but it sounds like that's not worked for you.

You could downgrade to Leopard? Big step though...

Don't panic anyway.

Re temperatures that sounds about right for a Whitebook. They do get pretty hot underneath. Note if you've just installed 10.6.3 spotlight might be working quite hard indexing all the new files you have added. That will warm up the CPU.

Don't panic about that either. I think your hardware is OK. IMHO Whitebooks are like French cars, all the extraneous bits fall off, but the core keeps on chugging away for ever.