Graphical Craziness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KettyKrueger, Aug 19, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All,

Just got a call from my wife at home. She told me that when she opened the MBP from it's slumber she was greeted with picture below (on the left)! She couldn't do anything. I told her to close the lid and open it again, to which she got the other picture below (on the right).

After a restart everything is back to normal. Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this?

In case you were wondering; no, my daughter does not have a giant orange triangular head :D

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. VigCS macrumors newbie

That's really odd. The major thing that comes to mind is that the GPU was overheating, but since it was doing that right after waking it up, that seems unlikely.

Hopefully some others will chime in with more suggestions. Do you have Applecare?

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Nah, it's only a couple of weeks old. My second one after the first one kept freezing!

It had been asleep for about 4 hours I think so should have been really cool. Overheating seems unlikely.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Really? I'm using the 9400M at the moment.

Should I 'push' the GPU and see if it cracks under the pressure?

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Well, I've been using it for a while, watched a couple of movies and it seems to be okay.

I wonder if it was just a one-off thing. Should I try a hardware test?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't, but rather just call apple and explain the issue and get it repaired/replaced.

8. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Really? You think this warrants a replacement/repair? Seems like a minor thing to me (albeit scary).

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If my screen started doing that, I'd get right on the phone to applecare. Clearly something isn't right to cause that, and you wait it might fail just when you need. Typically the night before a deadline, as you rush to finish a project.

10. FnuGk macrumors regular

id call apple right away aswell. Like my old crap hp laptop had its keyboard failing once i rebooted and everything was fine for the next 3 month until i had my exams and guess what happened?

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It looks to me like the portion of memory used for graphics was corrupted somehow. I wouldn't think much of it unless it recurs since you're well within warranty anyway.

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Do you have any 3D apps? Games or anything? Usually that will cause a faulty GPU to go nuts.

I had an old laptop that would do that in windows sometimes but if I started playing a game it would do exactly that.

13. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yeah, I think I'll keep an eye on it and if it does occur again, I'll take it back.

Dan73 - haven't got any games or 3D apps! Could you possibly point me towards to a graphical intensive demo?

14. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Torcs is a good one. Free too. Very heavy on the graphics - it's a bit choppy on my new MBP, so I have to use my gaming PC to play it comfortably. The point is, this will push your GPU to the limit. Download here. I love how you can modify the cars so they go like 500 kmph.:) To uninstall after testing, just delete the content. Hope this helps.

15. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Cheers dude, downloading now....

16. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Okay, slightly confused by Torcs. Ran it but when I came to play it, the car raced itself and I had no control over it :confused:

Anyways, ran it in full screen (actually ran it in a res. much larger than my display) and it ran fine. I let it run for a few minutes and there were no graphical anomalies.

Also, I did a full 1 hour Apple Hardware Test and that came back with no problems.

So I'm thinking/hoping it was a crazy one-off but will monitor it and if it happens again, I'll take it back to Apple.

Cheers for the helps guys.

17. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yea, a couple people about ten years ago came together to design intelligent racing robots that could race themselves. (No, I'm not kidding. It's true.) Anyway, you can race against them, etc. Glad to hear your GPU is (hopefully) back to normal. :)