Graphical glitches: Lion or logic board?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iRobz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. iRobz macrumors newbie

Anyone experienced this since updating to Lion?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if this is down to Lion or perhaps a fault with my new iMac.

2. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

If you click on the Apple logo, what happens?

When you restart, is it there straight away, or only on default (try a 3rd party app) apps, or randomly?

3. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I had a somewhat similar problem ages ago on my 2008 MBP. When I watched HD videos, lines would appear and often crash. The problem was determined to be a faulty logic board :(

4. iRobz thread starter macrumors newbie

It disappears after a reboot, but it was present on all four desktops i had open and clicking on the 'infected area' still produced the effects you would expect from it.

My iMac did freeze earlier today and i had to do a force reboot. Wondering if it's all connected.

5. iRobz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ack, i've had that before with the original G5 iMac and did wonder if it was a possibility this time. Secretly hoping it's just down to Lion.

6. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Mine's been doing the same exact thing.. since my upgrade to Lion. Sometimes i can fix it by simply clicking Shift + Control + Eject to shut the screen off, then moving the mouse again. Other times, it freezes completely and i have to restart. I would guess it's Lion because it happened to me 2-3 times ever on Leopard/Snow Leopard and it's happened 10+ times since upgrading less than a week ago.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Rob, did the freeze have anything to do with Flash or running QuickTime or movies in iTunes?

It's a known issue with Lion that after the mac returns from a sleep state, running Flash, QT, or movies via iTunes will result in a freeze; the mouse cursor will still move around, but can't click anything. It's talked about here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196262

8. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I purchased a 27" iMac yesterday and today I noticed similar graphics glitches. I rebooted and all was fine. I was wondering if I should return it for a replacement? Any thoughts?

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I was thinking it was a graphical glitch. To be honest I don't know a lot about this but if its a logic board issue would that portion of the screen always remain distorted (even until the reboot)? I had a similar glitch with my menu bar but when I went fullscreen on Quicktime the glitch was gone. I then exited it and the menubar was still distorted. Is it still possible that it could be a logic board issue?

11. iRobz thread starter macrumors newbie

So far, for me, the graphical glitch was only apparent on the menu bar. When my logic board went on my G5 iMac the problem then was widespread across the screen. So I'm hoping that indicates more a bug within Lion than a logic board problem.

I don't remember if I was using flash, QT or YouTube at the time but I have experienced the issues mentioned elsewhere whereby the system becomes unresponsive apart from the mouse cursor moving, only then would a hard reboot remedy the situation.

Hopefully 10.7.1 will iron out these creases.

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I don't know for sure. But I think it could be Lion glitch, not hardware problem. Sometimes I get a flashy glitch when I browse using Safari in Lion. Don't ever show up in SL or BootCamp Windows. So I think it's Lion problem.

Same graphical glitches had been appeared on iOS 4.3 for iPod touch. But has been easily repaired by update