Graphical glitches that can be screenshot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jessica Lares, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

So I was using my MacBook Pro just now doing some quick mockups in maya (just a few cubes with UVs), and this happened:

Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 3.46.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 3.46.59 PM.png

Every time I pressed a key, it would change colors. What the heck happened? Was it because I also had Adobe Flash CS6 and then Photoshop open at the same time? The machine didn't get hot or anything otherwise.

2. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I think if you can take screenshots of the glitch then it is happening in your graphics card rather than the display/cable.

What model MBP have you got?

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ouch, ok.

Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro.
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I had those same screens at random times during boot, along with a solid blue, white, and red. Genius Bar couldn't find anything after 48 hours of testing. Sent it off to Texas and they ended up replacing the logic board. It has been right at a month, and no problems.

I have the same machine albeit 8 mb ram.

5. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ugh, well, that's going to have to wait until May then. I'm on break right now, but I have an animatic due next week, so am rushing on getting that done. After that, I have to do my full blown animation.

So lets say my logic board or graphics card goes out TODAY. Will my hard drive survive that most likely?

I would rather spend $3,000 on a new Mac Pro than $1,000 to fix something on the MBP. :eek:

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Logic board replacement is nowhere near 1k for our model. You can find the board for anywhere from $250 - $500.00, if in fact that is the problem. My Mac was still under warranty. My receipt showed $280.00 with $100 of that for labor, if I had had to pay Apple.