Graphical Issue MBP Feb 2008 - Shadows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mciarlo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

So with almost all shadows (most noticeable with startup splash screens and WPF applications) on my MBP under Windows Vista, I get what I can only describe as tearing and corruption. I have tried the driver supplied with boot camp and over 5 drivers from laptopvideo2go and all exhibit this problem.

Anyone know what might be the cause or a possible solution? I'm stumped.

One image is a menu item with corrupt graphic rendering and the other is a splash screen shadow issue. Both work fine on other computers.

Attached Files:

2. skir0987 macrumors regular

That actually looks pretty cool even though it's not supposed to happen :p

3. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

What's odd is that the second image is just a transparent png, yet the blacks/shadows are wrong.

4. greenythebeast macrumors regular

5. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Windows on a Mac...It's just not meant to be.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I knew this would be a problem...

It's not the application in the pictures that has the problem, it's almost anything with a shadow or transparency. The splash screens for the Adobe Creative suite do this as well.

9. lauph macrumors regular

This is NOT the graphics's problem. It is an intended "cool" effect or something.

If the Shadows are an artifact, how on earth can it be captured in the screenshot? The screenshot being able to record the shadows means they were intended to be there.

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I used to have the same logic as you. It would make sense that a screen capture would not capture artifacts, but for some reason, they still show up in examples like this.

11. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Something that makes text unreadable and graphics cruddy is not 'cool' or by design.

:confused:

12. lauph macrumors regular

Yeah, but you gotta understand, that that "artifact" is not an artifact when I meant it to mean "graphics corruption". The image you linked is more like a browser problem, not rendering it as it was meant to be, but thinking that it rendered it successfully, and that is exactly what that is "sent" to the operating system, which then "sends" it to the graphics card to be displayed, and it does so perfectly. When taking the screenshot, it takes the picture from the OS's point of view, which is, a broken image.

Similar example would be a browser failing an acid1/2/3 test, and then the user takes a screenshot of it. Is it a graphics card problem? No. Its the browser's problem.

13. lauph macrumors regular

It is "designed" for the shadows and cruddiness to appear. Something on the software side screwed up, and the operating system sees it in such screwedupness, and the graphics card represents it just as it is "meant" to be.

14. lauph macrumors regular

I assume from your first post that it works on OSX perfectly and screws up in Vista.
    If I'm right, then read on.
    What is the difference between OSX and Vista to "cause" those shadows to appear? Software, Software, Software.