Graphical Performance

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JoelTheSuperior, Oct 15, 2015.

1. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Do we know what the graphical performance is like on the new iMacs yet?

I'm tempted to switch from my hackintosh to a lovely new retina iMac at some point but I'm just a bit concerned about what the graphical performance is like on these. Right now I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 which I'm very happy with but looking at the benchmarks for say, the R9 M290X leaves me actually quite disappointed - the performance is really nothing to write home about at all so I'm sort of hoping that this time around it's a bit better.

Any ideas how the 27" iMac's mobile GPUs compare to desktop GPUs?

2. Tanax macrumors 6502a

You're joking, right?
    Mobile GPUs can't compete with desktop GPUs right now. If you actually need the performance of GTX 970 to the max, you won't be satisfied with an iMac today, sorry! If you don't use your GPU to its full potential, then maybe you'll make due with an iMac. Just remember that it's mobile GPUs in the iMac and it won't have THAT good GPU performance.

With that said, mobile GPUs are still quite good today, albeit not as good as desktop GPUs, but still. The maxed out M395X will surely be fairly alright - even for some medium gaming! It all depends on how much power you actually use and need.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm guessing that the mobile GPUs will be smoked by nearly any desktop quality GPU.

4. Serban Suspended

are you sure that mobile gpu can't compete???
    take a look at 980M and the beast 990M !! they smoke even gtx 970 or top amd desktop

5. magbarn macrumors 68000

If only Apple went with the superior Nvidia mobile gpus. AMD fury is close to nvidias best, but unfortunately their mobile solutions are just plain horrible. I was hoping, since Apple seems to have an AMD fetish, that Apple would find a way to dump a Fury Nano in the iMac as at least that would be competitive with 990M.

6. Tanax macrumors 6502a

At least one good thing is that AMD gets more units sold, meaning more money to development of future GPUs - all while keeping up and perhaps even increasing the competition between themselves and Nvidia.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

Look at the recent brain drain and company outlook of AMD, most likely they won't be independent in 5 years. Apple doesn't have the volume to keep AMD alone in business.