graphically intense applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by couragethedog, Apr 15, 2010.

1. couragethedog macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a 2007 SR MBP with the infamous 8600 GT card, and I've had to get my logic board replaced once already cause the GPU died. Lately, it's been showing signs of dying (artifacts in games, weird graphical glitches). Is there anything I can do to accelerate this process? I don't want to be stuck with this ticking time bomb of a graphics card, and my applecare runs out in September. I'd like to get a replacement laptop.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You want us to help you commit fraud?

Btw, Apple extended the warranty on 8600 GT MBPs, so even after your Apple Care ran out, any failure of the GPU is still under "warranty".

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

For a non-fraudulent solution, just play lots of video games that use the 3D hardware heavily.

4. couragethedog thread starter macrumors newbie

Not trying to commit fraud, I just didn't have this in mind when I bought such an expensive laptop. When you say it is still under warranty, how long does this warranty last? My impression was that it was 3 years from purchase, which would make it run out the same time as my applecare.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The normal Apple Care warranty runs for one year, within that first year you have the opportunity and option to purchase the extended Apple Care warranty, which last another two years, so that makes three years of warranty.

Due to the high failure rte of that specific GPU (8600 GT), Apple established a warranty program, which allows users of the MBP with that GPU getting a repair or replacement after the warranty expired (one or three years, depending on the user and the purchase of the extended warranty).

So in shorter words: That GPU (8600 GT) gets you the opportunity and option of getting a repair or replacement in case of a GPU failure even after you have no warranty left on the machine.
    But the program will not run indefinitely, so maybe you can ask Apple about it.

Btw, it does not really matter how expensive a product is, as it is mass produced like many products consumed by human beings, and as it is a highly advanced piece of technology, failure is still a part of its existence. It could happen to your 300€ netbook too, you just wouldn't care as much though.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/

EDIT:

I just found this article, which contradicts my statement: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Maybe use MRoogle to find out more, as this topic (8600 GT warranty issues) comes up every once in a while, there is even a big, long thread about "screwed 8600 GT users".

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Spinnerlys-

OP has the extended Applecare Agreement.

OT but we don't know what Apple will do because this is the year that the three year period for the 2007 machines, the first ones with the 8600, will be up. It'll be interesting for sure.