Graphics benchmark - integrated vs dedicated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bwhite123, Jul 26, 2014.

1. bwhite123, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

bwhite123 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have an Early 2011 15" Macbook Pro. Recently the graphics seems to have broken, in that I get horizontal black lines across the screen or the image is shifted a couple of hundred pixels to the left or right, e.g. so what should be on the very left of the screen actually appears on the far right.

I think it's a problem with the dedicated graphics (6750M 1Gb), but I want to test this theory before I take it into the Apple store (thankfully I'm just within my Applecare warranty). The problem has happened both in OSX 10.9 and Windows 7 running bootcamp so it's likely hardware and not software at fault.

Is there a graphics benchmark where I can specify whether to use just the integrated (Intel) or dedicated (AMD/ATi) graphics so I can do a comparison and see if the problem only happens when using one of them?

Also the problem is intermittent (happens every few hours) so if I could get a graphics benchmark that caused the problem pretty quickly (e.g. a couple of mins) that would be useful when trying to demonstrate the problem to the Apple store people.

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's Radeongate.

All 2011 15"/17" MBPs with the Radeon GPU have the same manufacturing flaw in the logic board that causes Radeongate to happen.

The only real solution is a reball of the GPU. Replacing the board won't work as Radeongate will happen again.

I was a victim of Radeongate.

3. bwhite123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it would appear there is an issue... http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures

Can anyone recommend a graphics benchmarking tool for OSX, so I have a better chance of causing the error when I get to the Apple store, and thus have a better chance at getting a replacement.

(Of course, I presume there is a chance the replacement will have the same issue, but hopefully it won't die again before the new 14nm intel CPUs come out and I can upgrade)

4. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Mine's currently getting Apple depot repair for the same reason. :(

I don't know of a good tool to use in OS X but in Windows Furmark would surely stress the system enough.

Mine was so borked that I couldn't even boot in any operating system before getting severe distortions or freezing.

Apple hasn't officially said anything but the lady in the Apple Store assured me it was a "known issue" and that both her 2011 models also had to be repaired.